1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vplow w/ Diesel -- Air Bags, Timbrens, or nothing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mow Right, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

I just put a 8' 6" Western MVP Plus on my 2006 F250 Diesel. The dealership would not install it, I was over the front weight rating. I had to bring it to a mechanic to get it installed. Anyways I did a search and didn't find much, so I was wondering...

Do I need some type of support (air bags or timbrens) since I am running overweight in the front end? Am I going to have a bunch of problems in the future due to this? (FYI I have coils and not leaf springs on the truck)

Also, I figured I should probably do something with rear suspension too, because when I pull out of the shop I have 2500+/- pounds of salt in the bed, plus the TGS 1100 salter on the back... then the vplow hanging off the front.... I weigh so much I can pretty much plow anything in 2 wheel drive.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would rather not get heavier suspension because it makes the ride rougher, and this is my daily driver all summer.

(I meant to put this in the Ford forum, but somehow accidentally posted it here, o well...)

Truck_w_Plow.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

that thing will be fine. its a ford stop acting like a girl nothing kills those trucks

3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have a 9'2" boss v on 03 ford but its a 1 ton but srw been on there 3 yrs yours will be fine

4. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I have a 8' fisher HD on my 250 that doesn't even have a snow plow prep, just reagular front end (4200lbs) I think. Doesn't even squat an inch. Like it was said before, It's a FORD not a weenie cheby

5. RIVERVIEW7

RIVERVIEW7 Member

I have an 8'6'' unimount mvp on the front of a frord bronco and i put air bags and heavier springs in the front and the truck handels it no problem

6. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I have a Boss 9'2" VXT on the front of my 07 Ford F-350 Diesel and the front axle isn't over weight. With the snow plow package my truck has a Front GAWR of 6000lbs, I weighed the front axle prior to purchasing a plow and it was at 4930lbs.

I did upgrade to Ford 7000lb coils up front to gain a little lift and it holds the plow up very nicely. The front doesn't drop much with the blade up, with air bags it probably wouldn't drop at all.

In the rear I do run Air Lift load assist air bags though, very nice.

7. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

The truck squats low enough with the plow that sometimes I can't disconnect the plow if the truck isn't sitting level. Not enough room for the feet to flip down and lock. Since it's diesel, vplow, no snow prep either.. I just figured I would ask to see what you guys were doing w/ it. Some people tell me I'm going to ruin my truck w/o bags or something so figured I'd ask.

Thanks