1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vplow or straight blade

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fej70, Sep 8, 2008.

1. fej70

fej70 Junior Member

To start out I am new to the business, as far as, owning my own. Worked for a small company running older straight blades, but now out on my own, and having to spend my own money. I have a 1993 F250 4x4 gasser.

I know I am overthinking this, but looking for advice on wich plow, a Straight or V.

I have 4 residential accounts and on one commercial. The residentials are town homes and the commercial is is just two passes in the parking lot for traffic, 4 lots total for the passes.

I am more or less asking, if it is worth the money to buy a V plow right away, or wait, until the accounts increase, and put some money away for the unseen for a business.

Thanfs for the help
    Fej

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think your streched for time so go with the straight blade, much easier to find a deal on one. JMO

Edit. Don't read Ice's post, I've left more dribbles, then he's plowed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you got the money to spend then i would go for it.... im sure as soon as that account comes that could use a vee you will be kickin yourself....

EDIT:JD'S opinion doesnt matter much:p

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Those two spend more time insulting one another then plowing snow:jester:

If you can swing it go for the vee, increased production makes it worth the cost.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

it wouldnt be that way if we actually got snow:angry:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They're right. Go with the vplow when you get more accounts you will love the v plow.

PS icey hasn't had enough snow to dribble off his plow!

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Go with the vee.....a plow is a long term investment......and if u have the straight blade......its not going to give the production u need.

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Go with the vee.....a plow is a long term investment......and if u have the straight blade......its not going to give the production u need.

9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

One post would be sufficient Tim, and I still think V's are a waste of money.;)

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I bought my new plow last year the V blade was only $400 more then the 8' straight blade. You will loose a ton of money selling the straight blade when the time comes that you need the V.

Next question, which brand?:yow!:

13. fej70

fej70 Junior Member

I did not think of the time issue. Thats a good point. I am not under any time restraints for the accounts. I have it set up where I have 24-48 hours to get the reidential lots plowed and 24 hours for the commercial. They all are within a 5 mile radious of my homebase.

What about a self install. Is it worth the money to have the dealer install it?

I am a bus mechanic by trade, have the tools, but I dont know allot about the elecrtical.

Thanks for the adviced everyone. This site is pretty cool

14. fej70

fej70 Junior Member

I am leaning more towards fisher, i like the trip edge.
    Western would be my second choice.
    I am going to stay with chains versus hydraulics. That way if I break something i can still get it back to the shop

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone else see where those are gonna go? :rolleyes:

16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I was having computer problems...sorry jd!:cry:

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont think for the most part, you need the "vee" postion,,, but the scope is the advantage.... w ith all these Expandable plows, i would think the snow carring capablitly is similar....

18. fej70

fej70 Junior Member

I have called, and or talked to face to face, a number of dealers around me, the closest being 30 miles away, and the price difference between the two is about 500 - 800 dollars between, plus a 300-450 install charge.

That would put a few tanks of fuel in the truck, or even a years worth of insurance.

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

go with what you think will give you the best service , and parts... remember, a few tanks of fuel sure...but over the next 7 years that you might own it... how many tanks are you gonna spend driving to that dealer?

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

the western is also a trip edge, not a full mold board, on the V plow.... not sure which u decided on

both use good hydro systems, i think almost the same, or similar,

or if al else fails.... what color looks best with your truck , thats what B&B does to pick a plow... he doesnt go off any mechanical experiance at all...lol