1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VPlow - Backdragging

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mvincent, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mvincent

Mvincent Junior Member

Getting back into plowing from a 5 yr break and just bought a used Boss 8-2 V-Plow. I have a customer looking to hire me strickly for residential drives. Says he has 8-10 hrs of residential driveways for every going out at every 2" snowfall. I'm guessing I would be looking at alot of backdragging. Whats your experience out there with backdragging with a V Plow? Not sure if this plow is the right setup for this type of plowing, but would be nice to solidfy a nice account. Any imput is greatly appreciate.
  2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Not familiar with Boss, but if it has double acting rams it should not be a problem. If the rams are single action, and each wing is retained/retracted by a spring, it will not likely be efficient. Most double acting setups have bypass only on ram compression, so be very carefull about snagging anything in reverse.
  3. jryden145

jryden145 Member

Should work just fine if it has smart lock cylinders. We have two boss v plows, both with smart locks and it works great for us.

4. Mvincent

Mvincent Junior Member

Thanks - Plow is 4-5 yrs old. Is there an easy way to tell if it has the smart lock cylinders? Thanks again.
  5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I would think It will have 2 hoses on each ram...Some V plows just have the single hose rams...they dont back drag worth a darn.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Back dragging with a V- plow will take one or two more pass to achieve the same results a straight blade would.
    Don't sweat it,
    The V-plow is more efficient in every other aspect.

The V blade is heaver than the straight which helps it back drag better in heavy wet snow than a straight blade.