1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vplow and spreader question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sangerlawn, Dec 10, 2009.

1. sangerlawn

sangerlawn Junior Member
    from indiana

I have been wanting to add plowing to our business for a long time but had to wait until the money was available. When I finally found what I wanted the snow season was over for my area. I ended up buying a Chevy and the dealer already put on a boss 8’2 v plow and a sno-way 6 cubic salt shaker. I took a few days to drive north with it to get some experience last year. Another words, I am an Alabama boy living in Indiana and have no real experience in snow….been here about 9 years and in lawn business total 14 years from both states.

Over the last few days with the storm brewing we were supposed to get rain and then freezing temps. Some of my customers said if this happens they wanted me to salt there lots. I loaded the salt shaker then waited. The cold got here but it stopped raining way to early and salt was not needed. This morning I backed up to my salt pile and was going to run the shaker until it was empty but…nothing came out? I had to bang on the sides to get it to move…..is this normal if the salt sits to long and if you are driving while spreading will the shaking of the truck be enough to cause the salt to drop?

Other question is about the vplow. I just read a post from someone who reminded me of last year. I kept getting lines of snow after plowing. I thought it was normal so I just plowed the lot twice. In the other posts someone said there are ways to stop the lines if you are using the vplow. I searched but couldn’t find out how? Could someone tell me the secretes?

Btw…last year my trip was to Michigan to learn how to plow…you guys are freaken fast lol….I was there during the 3 foot lake effect snows…I hope I get as good as you all xysport
  2. Winfrey

Winfrey Junior Member

yea we gotta be fast up here theres lots of competiton, and it is best to not put salt into the salter til u need it at least thats how i do it but i just have a mini pro 575, keeps it from getting clumped up. and as far as the lines i just angle to 1 side or the other and dont take such big strips of snow take less each time and you wont have so much trying to go off the sides, but i have a straight blade with the vplow put it in scoop and it should work pretty good idk thou ive never had one.
  3. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

4. sangerlawn

sangerlawn Junior Member
    from indiana

Thank you for the responses. Yes I have a lid on the salter. I am hoping the problem was cause because salt sat in there for about 2 days? I will keep playing around this year to try and get rid of the lines
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, the lids on these don't do a whole lot. They will keep stuff in, keep the majority of water out, but they are not water tight. If parked, still tarp the top. Another thing,... Salts attracts moisture. In damp conditions, it will bind up and can become a solid rock. It can be a nightmare in extreme cases. One trade secret when this happens, is to use windshield washing fluid and poor it on. Sure it takes a bit, but it is STILL better than being out there with a pick axe and scraper tool. If you can keep the truck inside when it has salt, it's even better. Many people, if using a combo truck (both plow and salt), don't ill with salt until they are done with plowing (or about done - (depending on their logistics). you're going to find that there are many nights you are plowing, and you will be getting a wet snow or worse yet, a rain. Yes, you have your lid, but when your hopper is filled, your lid is not going to close anyway. Hope this helps.
  6. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I had a problem with my salt doing this on Wednesday. It's called bridging, and in my case it was because the salt I had was to fine. The salt needs to be chunky, the bigger the pieces of salt the less likely they are to bridge. A vibrator should fix that but better salt is all that's really needed.
  7. sangerlawn

sangerlawn Junior Member
    from indiana

Awesome info from last 2 posts! I would have never thought of windshield washer fluid…thanks!!!

The salt I got isn’t like the salt in bags?? It has some chunks but most is real fine? I didn’t realize it until it got delivered. It almost looks like salt and sand mixed but it isn’t?