1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vote For Most Reliable Spreader!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by shoeman68, Jan 7, 2008.

1. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Could I get all of the industry professionals personal opinion on the most reliable V spreader they have used. I own a Hi-Way w/ 10.5 briggs and I am not impressed with the reliablity even though maintenance hasn't been neglected.
    I also own a Air-Flo stainless with a newer Briggs Intek that already seized. Replaced motor with older Briggs I/C motor. Still, not so impressed with this manufacturer or motor.
    I am thinking of switching to the newer companies with all electric and poly hoppers. I would love to hear what other peolple think of these newer spreaders. Thanks!!

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if i can vote for ANY v box i'll vote for my Swenson 9' 5 yard SS hydro. i like having the ability to control the chain and the spinner seperate. also like being able to adjust the back gate height by turning the crank. i also like being able to adjust the length of the spinner and chute. also like that the drag chain is adjusts by itself through the tension springs.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the swnson sounds nice

for those of us that want something a little simpler;) (not that complicated)

i have a buyers ss v-box i bought from angelos for $3499 and all you have to do is hit the start button and then the spread

i vote for it.

4. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I have an old Monroe V box that works great. Its old and takes maintenance but I happen to like it. I have a new Briggs 13hp on it, this has always started everytime and spreads nice.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

First time I ever heard of the drag chain having tension springs, that would be great.

I vote for a dual flow hydraulic V box.

6. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

If money is not an issue I love the Smith spreaders, absolutly bulletproof! If money is a concern I like the poly electric salt doggs.

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a couple of the buyers ss v-box's from angelos for the money they work GREAT !
    The BEST spreader in my opinion is a hydraulic tailgate spreader. You have lots more control than a v box and can hold morebut ours cost close to 7 grand!
    Yes there are better ones out there but they are all in the $5000 price range. After finally selling our last electric snowex i would NEVER buy a electric spreader again. Lots of "little problems" and they never put enough salt down.

That just me!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

hydralic bar none!!! undertailgate then v-box...but either hydro

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are the advantages of a tailgate over a V box?

10. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Hydraulic is good but honestly this year I took my gas enginge off my western icebreaker that engine never did run for crap, and simply put a 3/4hp electric in its place and I have to say i am sold not one problem to date. Now I do think having 2 electric motors one for drag chain and separate for spinner with separate speed controls would be better but this is working fine for me and total cost under$500

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Swenson's are great, I've had a hydraulic one since 01. I thought those springs were just used as a guide for adjusting your chain, to see how much tension was on it. Maybe I've been doiing something wrong, I never did get an owner's manual. Put between 3 and 4 thousand ton through it and it still works good. BTW Tailgate spreaders are a PITA.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 of the Swenson. That spring is not strong enough to take up the slack on the drag chain. We just shortened one of the drag chains last week. Not the easiest job but cheaper then a new chain. They seem to stretch quite a bid.

13. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have 2 old swensons and love em both. 1 is a hydro unit that never gives me problems and has a flow control to adjust the psread pattern. the other is a gas motor that gets to be a pain to always have to refuel. The only problem i've had with it is the original motor went out last month after being on it for 13 years.

I have used a tailgate one and didnt like them unless you have a auger in the bed, and to use the dump to haul stuff you have to take it off. Plus, v boxs are easy to unload and load with one person compared to a undrbody.

14. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Our Swenson has been pretty good. Got to keep up w/ maint. on it though. The Briggs engine seems fine, I run synthetic 0W30 in it, keep in mind these engines are splash lubricated so if the oil is sitting in the sump like 90 weight gear oil it puts a lot of wear & tear on the engine starting it on a cold morning. Run a small amount of iso dry gas in the fuel and turn off the petcock between jobs. Keep the thing clean and douse the thing w/ something to prevent rust. We hit the grease fittings often. Since it is a carbon steel model I mix up cheap veggie oil/raw linseed oil and mineral spirits to thin the mixture to spray it out of a deck sprayer. No environmental diaster like years ago when everyone used diesel fuel/used motor oil!:) Oh yeah, hit the el. connections w/ dielectric grease when you can.

15. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Great advise. Never thought to use the veg. oil / linseed combo.

Shoeman