1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vortec heads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, May 6, 2009.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone have to replace their heads due to the cracking issue?? whats the casting num
    is it the 862 heads or the other ones?i'm having the vanishing coolant issue...

thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They generally only crack if your run it low on coolant first...which in 99% of the cases of that it stems from leaking intakes gaskets, and is also very likely in your case.

Vortec casting numbers are either 906 or 062.

3. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

they tell me it cant be intake gaskets because there's no coolant there it's dry.
    i did change the wp gaskets and added the gm tablets. also my heads are 862's i think
    dont know if they are the caltek (i think thats who made them) or not

thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There doesn;t have to be any visible coolant on the exterior of the engine between the intake and the heads for it to be leaking there. The coolant can and will actually dry up quick without leaving much of a trace...especially in the rear because its very tough to see there.

What year is the truck?

Do you get a coolant smell when your outside the truck?

A dye trace check will tell you where it's leaking..

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

its an 04 5.3. once in a wile i get a wiff but very faint.
    by dry i ment no coolant goes through the intake, so i've been told

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, different Vortec. Your working with an LS1 style (99-up) Vortec which makes all the difference, thats why I asked the year of the truck.

No there is no coolant flow through the intake so it can't be an intake gasket leak causing the coolant loss.

Are you aware that there is/was a TSB on porosity issues with certain heads that were manufactured for GM by Castech that was related to mysterious (non external) coolant loss? The bulletin # was 06-06-01-019B.

Ever have the oil checked for coolant contamination? How much coolant are you going through?

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

yes i found that but they say it was a certain cast #
    but i dont remember which one. like
    i said i think mine are the 862's.
    no thing in the oil as i change it every 3g
    no white smoke and no real smell only one and a while
    i had to put a gallon in then i changed the wp gaskets
    and it was down again.

thanks for the help and info.....:drinkup: