1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Volvo loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cat320, Nov 17, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Was using an L90 today what a nice machine does any one eles have any or drive them? I really would love to get the L70 model just right for me not to big or small.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

what was the age? ive only seen old

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It's a 1995

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I used the L 70, brand new on a lease, for a winter a couple years ago. It was an awesome machine. We had a 10 ' blade on it, so it wasn't as productive as it could have been, but I drove it down the road and all across town for the whole night. Did everything from huge high school parking lots to very small lots. It was easier to use than a truck in finess situations, and sure could move snow!

I keep threatening to get one for my whole route. If you had a protech to swap back and forth with a blade, it would be a perfect setup.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I practically lived in an L50 for about three seasons. Working in landscape supply, 10 hour days and 7 days a week during late May through early July. An air conditioner would have been a REAL NICE option to have. I only used it a few times (with the bucket not a plow) to clear the yard for mulch trucks to unload (you have to stock pile mulch in the winter so you don't run out before the frost laws come off)

6. Daryl

Daryl Junior Member

I just bought a 1986 Volvo 4300. It has a 2.5 yard bucket with about 5500 hours. The machine is so quiet and comfortable it is nice expecially compared to the John Deeres. Great snow machine. Not quite as big as a L70 but slightly larger than a L50.

7. pinch

pinch Junior Member
    from Sweden

Here in Sweden we use alot of 6300 and L70 great for snow removal.

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I think my sl-120 is about the same as an L70

Cat320 -

I have been running a '97 Samsung SL-120 2.5yd. loader for a couple of years. I used it for snow all of last year (lots of work) with no pusher, just the bucket. I was pleased, and for our sized accounts the pusher would have been more hassle less profit. I did some lots myself and cut the time down versus a plow. And, on others, I worked with our F-800 (10' blade) to keep the snow moving.

I know that Volvo bought Samsung, and the machines are pretty similar. I love mine and have heard good reports on the Volvo. Even though our Samsung is a foreign make (too bad the Cat dealer didn't deliver when I asked) the parts are mostly standard - Cummins 6 cylinder, Clark Tranny, etc. I saved some money, bought it locally and am pleased. With a little practice you can even load pickups with mulch or dirt. We use it during the year for our landscape supply company. It is also useful for loading a screening plant (not to big, not to small) and soon I hope to have a grapple in order to load a tub grinder. It has heat and A/C (although i think the A/C clutch is blown - seems like a good winter project), and a stereo.

By now you probably already bought one. Good luck.

9. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

davek, what are frost laws?

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I found one official definition here.

Frost law restrictions:
    During the time that spring weight restrictions are in effect on frost-restricted routes, maximum axle loadings are reduced by 25% on rigid based roads and 35% on flexible based roads. Most restricted state highways and county roads reduce maximum axle loading by 35%.

In Michigan, each county determines when the frost laws begin and end. They don't come off on a set date either, it depends on how much moisture is in the ground etc. etc. Usually they come off during late March to early April.

11. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

12. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We are looking at the Volvo loader now for purchase. It is the L50 or L45 series. Anyone like them what are the pros and cons, It has a scale in the bucket and Quick hookup hydraulics for attachments. Is this a really good machine? Please let me know!

13. 95zII

95zII Junior Member

In the Quarry where I work we run Kawasaki's. Our smallest machine is a 80zIV, that's the equivalent of the Volvo L90. I had a chance to run a L90 and compare it to the Kawi. The L90 is a fast over the road machine. It felt like it only had about half the hydraulic power of the 80. It shifted rough and the cab was loud. I like the designs of the cabs but that's all it has going for it.

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I noticed the lack of power with it to it was fast on the road it just seamed that it should of had more power for the size machine.The engine was very quiet and cab comfort and view was great , the machine that I had was going for if you could buy it around the low $60's.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a question on an old HOUGH model H60 it laso said model 6065 on the metal plack inside machine.The machine needs at least 2 new tires and is leaking a little bite ,needs new hydro lines and probable batteries. it is a late 70's as far as year what would be a far price to pay for it. i thought around $5-7K it does need work.