1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Volvo L20 vs. Volvo ZL402c

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTLandscaper, Oct 31, 2013.

1. CTLandscaper

CTLandscaper Junior Member
    from 06770

Hi there. We handle a lot of condo properties with our trucks and skidsteers. When we have needed larger equipment in the past we have contracted out. We are looking to purchase a small loader for ourselves to use during storms with a pusher box and then to stack snow afterwards.

We have seen the L20's in action and we like them. We are looking at a used Volvo ZL402c and I don't see them mentioned much here. It is a 99 with 3k hours and has been well maintained and will come from a reputable dealer.

My question is: Does anyone have experience with the two and is there much of a tradeoff between the two?

Thanks!

2. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

I run a LB25 and can't say enough good about it. I run a 12' Sectional and have no issues with the power. I believe the machine you are looking at is the older version of the LB models. What price are they asking as I know of a lb20 for sale here in Illinois? I also believe there is the same model you are looking at up for auction here as well.

3. CTLandscaper

from 06770

4. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

too high

where are you located
    2003 Cat 906 32k
    lb20 here is 26k
    Chicago Craigslist search under wheel loaders

obenaufauctions.com

search online auctions

5. CTLandscaper

from 06770

We are in CT.

6. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Go with an L20. The ZL402C was a limited production machine that only lasted 5 years, before they stopped making them in 2003. L20 is roughly the same size, but more powerful, has higher reach and better breakout force and is more modern than the ZL. I'm not sure if you would have any problems finding parts for a ZL, since it's no longer produced. L20's are definitely more common and would most likely be easier to find parts for in a pinch (which sometimes is worth it).

We have an L30B and we love it. I love using it to move pallets of salt rather than the skid steers or trying to use the Komatsu WA250. Very handy and capable little machine. Only problem we've had with ours is we've gone through a few starters, but the dealer has always fixed it on warranty, even though we bought it used.

7. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

L20 is a excellent machine..gosh guys your dealing with snow!!not dirt, concrete and other heavy materail!!

8. CTLandscaper

from 06770

Thanks for all the responses. Some good things to think about. Snowpro44, we would prefer the L20, but there aren't very many available in our price range around here. I'm just looking to see how the zl would stack up and if it could do what we need it to do and/or if we would ultimately be unhappy with the performance. Thanks everyone.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

10. CTLandscaper

from 06770

That is the machine we are looking at.