1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Volts Drop low ???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fdsr, Dec 9, 2005.

1. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

:confused: 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with a 8' Boss Super Duty. Question I have is when I raise the plow or turn it left or right the voltage gauge on the dash drops real low, lights dim etc. I do not have the radio on, most of the time just the heat.
    This is my first plow and I do not know if this is normal or when it was installed the wires are wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Also fyi I have just one battery, no special hookups.
  2. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Get your battery checked , mine was doing that to so I had it checked it was going bad . I replaced it and now everything is fine, if it checks out good ,make sure your terminals are clean and your grounds have a good connection.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This is typicall on many new plows that are electric. Look at it this way, the motor that runs the plow pump is as large, if not larger than your starter, so I would suspect some dimming. Having said that, it might still be worth having your battery checked so you do not get stranded somewhere.
  4. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

my lights dim also new plow i think it normal
  5. SilverTrucker

SilverTrucker Junior Member

The same thing has happened on both plow rigs I've owned. Both were new trucks with heavy duty alternators and batteries (04 Ford F250 & 05 Dodge Ram 2500) and new Boss plows. The draw for the plow dims the lights slightly and everything else electrical too. I'm not familiar with other brands of plows, but that's my experience with Boss.
  6. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

GMC Sub. Doing the same

I have an 88 GMC Suburban with 7'6 Boss with dual batteries and a high output alt. and mine does the same. It helped alot to install dual batteries, my truck would actually quit when raising blade loaded with snow until I hooked up two batteries. I think with high output hydro. on Boss blades it is normal. My dealer checked it out and said everything was good.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A high out put alt and 2 batteries and your good to go.. Also Check where the - and + are connected. Some installers just hook up the -neg it any ground they can find. I've seen them hooked it up to the air conditioning pump mount.
    Fallow the -neg (ground) cable off of the Alt and hook up tne -neg (ground) there.
    A bad ground can be the cause of dimming lights and a high draw on your alt.
  8. amar

amar Member

I have an 01 HD 135 amp alt duel batt
    02 HD 105 amp alt

both have 6.0L engines and Boss 8'2"

The 01 dosent dim as bad as the 02. Im thinking of getting a 200 amp alt ($300) to see if it helps.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe the 200amp? alt is a totally different alt than the 136amp one. you will need new brackets to hold it in place and a different wiring harness, at least thats what the guy at dodge told me.:waving:
    But, if there is a will there is a way...
    Cheek where the ground for the plow is to. is it the same on both? and do you have two battery's in both trucks?