1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

voltmeter shows negative charge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hokester10, Jan 21, 2014.

1. hokester10

hokester10 Junior Member

I own a 2003 gmc with a boss plow when its attached to the truck the voltmeter shows a neg. charge the other electrical componets work fine and the truck starts with no problem I have checked the battery with a multimeter when gauge is neg and it shows a pos charge is it a bad gauge or something else it never has a neg. charge if the plow is off also the plow frame will spark when attaching the plow to truck but not everytime thanks for the help

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Clean all the grounds that are for the plow. Bad grounds will do strange things.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2 on the grnds

4. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

x3 on grounds

5. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Don't the '03's have a different way to hook up some of the wiring for the light connections? It seems to me that the harness itself or a couple of wires are special for a couple of years in there and you have to hook them up differently.

6. BossEric

BossEric Member

Mr.Mudd is correct on the reversed wires for 99-02 chevy and GMC.The light adapters are reversed and one of the fused power wire at the battery is grounded. But if you've had the plow for a long time without trouble before , then it's probably hooked up correct.As everyone has already said it's probably a ground issue elsewhere.I would check the ground at the battery or engine block, however it's connected. And I still die grind the powdercoat on the plow frame where the pin contacts ,as an added ground measure.