1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voltage to high?? Light work when voltage lower???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Gmiller, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Gmiller

Gmiller Junior Member

Hey,

Got this used plow, put it on and everything worked except the lights because the harness was different. I just got the new harness put and tested everything with the truck off but turning the lights on. They all worked GOOD. Went to take it for a ride and they won't switch over to the plow... UNLESS i move it down and back up to lower the voltage for a minute, then it switches over but after my voltage comes back up it switches back to the truck lights. Weird or Common problem. What is it or what can i do?

Thanks
    Grant

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me like a ground problem.The reason I say it could be a ground is your moving the plow and moving one of the connections. Minute Mount 1 or Minute Mount 2?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Gmiller

Gmiller Junior Member

MM2. Ground to battery is good, any other grounds i should know of?

4. chevyzrule810

yes check the ground on the pump
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. chevyzrule810

Make sure the grill plugs are clean and tight with the plow plugs

6. Gmiller

Gmiller Junior Member

Cleaned up every contact, on battery, on solenoid and on pump. Also cleaned up plugs and they are tight. Still no luck, as soon as my truck gets to that point where the voltage jumps up the lights switch to the truck, the second i put the plow down just a little and bring it back up the voltage drops and then the lights switch to the plow. Thinking ill just put a voltage regulator between the battery and the solenoid so its a consistent 12v. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks
    Grant

7. chevyzrule810

Check to see if your battery is weak.I had a battery in my previous truck that was so weak when I lifted the plow it would come up slow and shut the truck off when it was fully raised so I couldn't lift it all the way.Installed a new battery and it was fine.

8. Gmiller

Gmiller Junior Member

Brand new batteries, its a diesel with double batteries. They check out good, that was the first thing i checked. I also have a voltmeter in the dash reads a steady 14volts until i raise the plow which seems normal.

Thanks
    Grant