1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voltage Regulator?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Sep 23, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Every so often my battery flight flashes red, and my voltometer will dip real low to about 9 volts, and then after a few seconds everything is fine. Battery and alternator are a year old, just put in a new starter, and I have disconnected everything from the battery except the engine wires. Could it be the regulator?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Time to go over all the power and ground leads...and there's several. Most important ones (beside the obvious ones) would be..

The connections at each end of the charging wire. Make sure they're clean and tight.

The 8 gauge power wire that branches off the positive battery cable at the battery and travels over and into the under hood junction box. Make sure it's clean and tight where it's connected to the stud under the fuse box housing. The fuse box housing simply pops off for access after removing the top.

Check the battery to engine ground cable where it's attached to the engine. Will be on the driver side toward the front of the engine block ahead of the engine mount.

Also check the grounds on the left front cab mount right under the driver door. Remove them and clean them up if theirs any question at all on their ability.

It's also possible it's not even an issue with the electrical system on the truck, may be just the volt gauge itself. As a test you can purchase one of those cheap digital volt gauges that plug into the cig lighter to continuously monitor battery voltage. Doing so will allow you to check the actual system voltage with this "backup" gauge to see if it's actually still running at the correct voltage. So the next time the volt gauge drops down and the batt light illuminates take a quick look at the backup gauge. If it's still ready batt voltage you then know the issue is related to the gauge itself or the circuit for it specifically and the stock volt gauge is simply lying to you briefly. I keep one handy in the toolbox at all times as it's been very useful in situations such as yours countless times...

3. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

sounds like B&B pretty much has it covered again!

4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Hey sounds Like same problem I had, turned out to be the main harness from the drivers side fire wall that goes under the brake booster, it has a lot of slack in it and needs to be zip tied up as it rests right on the exhaust manifold, but im my case headers, I only found this after replacing the battery, and alt. I was getting ticked and then found it. I will try to post pics when I get home tonight.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thanks guys. stuff like this makes me crazy. I gotta fix this before I can get on to doing any of the fun stuff I have planned!