1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voltage reading when lifting 2500HD...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevKid03, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I have a 03 2500HD with plow prep... Just wondering if I am loosing my mind but has anyone else ever wathced to volts on their truck drop quite a bit when raising the plow? If i raise my plow from ground to fully extended, the volts drop pretty low and the little digital screen that shows whether I am in PARK or DRIVE fades also... no lights dim or anything like that.. I had the battery tested late last year as well as the alternator and all were fine. Anyone else ever notice this?

thanks.

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My truck does the exact same thing- it's normal for it to drop to 12 volts (from 14-15) for a second or so before rebounding when raising the plow, especially with a load of snow (when stacking). I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

3. ktraver97ss

ktraver97ss Junior Member

Mine occasionally goes to 9-10 when lifting, and the lights dim ever so slightly. Is that too much of a strain on my batt and alt ? I used to have stereo that would make my lights dim and it never had any effects on the alternator, may have shortened the batt life though. I hope I can get through this year as is, and upgrade to a dual batt 145 amp alternator next year.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I believe dash gauges are usually ammeters, which show a state of charge or discharge, not volt meters. Install a volt meter if you want to keep tabs on the condition of your battery. The dash gauge relates to the charging, not battery condition (unless you have a true voltmeter). When you are working the plow, the ammeter is showing a state of discharge. If you had a volt meter hooked up, the voltage would not drop as much as you think it might, based on what you see on the ammeter.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Anybody running dual batteries???

Seems to help quite a bit with performance, volt meter still moves but fan, radio and lights are all strong

6. suspended11

suspended11 Junior Member

I have dual batteries in my 07 2500 HD. The volt meter still drops to around 10 when lifting. Everyone i've talked with said that its normal

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No they're VOLT meters. And its normal. Anytime you pull an instant 200 amps from the electrical system its tough for the Alt to ramp up to handle the instant current draw. It is more noticeable in some trucks than others.

Adding more battery's will help since it adds a "cushioning" effect on the load draw.

8. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

since i've started installing plows daily on every kind of truck, i've noticed dual batterys help ALOT

i plan to go duals here soon and hope to see a differance.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've got dual batteries. With the heat on, my heated seats, radio, phone plugged in and headlights mine dims ever so slightly.

10. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

I went with dual batteries this year and it made that problem go away. Up to last year I had to shut off my radio, heat blower, etc and it would still brown out on me.

11. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

IMO, if your truck is dropping voltage to the point that the shift indicator is dimming and the volt meter is dropping severely you need to install a second battery.
    With the advanced technology on trucks like your 03, computers, modules, and the like dislike voltage surges and spikes. You definately can cause items like them to fail prematurely with an unstable electrical system.