1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

voltage Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Dec 19, 2013.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Have a 2013 GMC 2500 with plow prep. I notice that when I lift the plow, the voltage drops from 14.4 to 12.1 and takes 3-4 minutes to come back up to normal. Obviously the plow draws a lot, so the voltage should drop, but I never noticed it taking that long to recover. Battery was tested and is perfect. Alternator issue maybe? Or is this normal.
    We had two storms this week. I plowed for 9 hrs straight the first one and 5 hrs the second one with this issue and had no problems. Just want to address it if it is a problem before it dies in the middle of a storm.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

no its not really a problem, but it could be. the computer now controls the alt. there was a really cool thread on this issue and in the end the guy bypassed the computer and ended up working perfectly
    with that said, you can always upgrade your wiring and if you have the room a second battery.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think all trucks do that but it shouldn't take that long to come back up to voltage.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

what type of oil in the plow?....maybe too much draw
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not in this case. Newer model gms use the Puter to excite the alt. By the time your done raising the plow the Puter senses the draw and tells the alt to increase voltage. So there's a delay more noticeable then in other older models
  6. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Thanks for the info, apparently its designed to work that way. I never noticed it taking this long to recover voltage in my '09 2500. I got the '13 at the end of last season so this week was the first time I took note of the voltage while plowing.
    The plow is a 5 yr old MM2 with fisher fluid in the motor changed two wks ago, so there should be no excessive draw from that.

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

My 09 & my 11 are the same way put dual batteries in both doesn't make a difference! starting on the 3rd plow season no probs.