1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

voltage issue 95 GMC

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grnstripes, Oct 15, 2010.

1. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Put the plow on today to try it out
    when ever we move the plow in any direction the voltage droppes way down then after a couple of seconds it comes right back didnt know if the alt was possibly starting to go bad or is it a bad battery and if its the battery i have had to change them every year but cant find anything drawing an odd amount of ampage

thanks for your help

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does that include the plow motor?

3. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

yes and it seems fine on the other truck

4. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

does it have a dual battery set up? what size is the battery compared to the other truck that works correctly? i would try to put the multi meter on the out put of the alt while some one runs the plow and see how the alt reacts when draw is heaviest

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Take all your connections apart, both plow and truck and clean to bare metal, especially the grounds. Fixed mine this way and I was having the same issues.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you've checked for parasitic amp draw as we as excessive amp draw from the plow I would agree, go over both power and ground connections very closely including those down near the starter, cab ground, engine to frame ground etc. Also be sure both plow cables are connected DIRECTLY to the battery terminals. If they're anywhere else move them now.

7. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

on our 95 chevy with a 350 v-8 and a western v blade, we have had the same problem for years. We have changed alternators and batts many times over the 10 yrs we have owned it and it always does it. i have just came to the conclusion that its just the way it is. our old 88 chevy used to do it to and so have the 03 chevys. (all gas engines and one batt) the weird thing is our fords and dodges have never done that. but it has never caused us any performance issues. will be interested in seeing what you determine.

8. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

just an update on it
    first i noticed im an idiot in my typing skils ive been dealing with my 96 so much that i accidentally typed 95 when it is an 05
    we took it to interstate yesterday to test the battery the battery came up as dead after driveing it 40 minutes to get there we put a loaner battery in and tested the votage on the new battery not running then running the battry was reading 1253 with the truck off then 1460 with it running cked the connection for the ground to the truck it looked allrigh so now the have the old battery there charging so they can load test it