1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voltage guage...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I've noticed over the last couple months that my voltage guage "varies" a little more than the rest of our trucks. When the truck is idling or accelerating/decelerating the guage needle moves up/down 1-2 "tick marks" from the middle of the guage at 14 volts. Is this normal without any additional electrical loads on the truck?

The guage dips down a little when I'm using the plow- more than it "varies" by itself, but can't figure out why it would do this with no real change in the curent draw on the truck.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

how old is the battery? and do u run 1 or 2

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Battery is about 2 years old- I run one battery. It's got a 145A alt.

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

My dmax was doing the same thing about a month ago and the lights were dimming a little bit too while the gauge was bouncing and that was without the plow. Ended up going to the dealer to milk my extended warranty that was up in 200 miles and they said it was the alternator and batteries. They replaced those things for $0 and its good as new now. Plow seems a little bit faster and my lights dim less. Oh yea the dealer said the alternator was about $380 and the batteries were about $110 or 120. Cant remember exact numbers cuz I didnt pay for it.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use a digital volt meter and connect it directly to the battery and watch the voltage. Does it fluctuate up and down like the volt gage in the truck? If not, then the stepper motor in the gage itself is going bad. Very common problem on the 03-05 GM trucks.

If the voltage does fluctuate when checking directly at the battery, then you either have a battery or alternator problem. A loose battery cable or poor cab to frame ground will cause it too.

6. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Fluctuating volage is often indicative a failed voltage regulator in the alternator. With a volt meter is if you see the voltage cycle from 12.5 to 14.5 volts I would suspect the VR in the alternator.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

If it turns out to be the voltage regulator- will any harm be done by not addressing it in the near future. It doesn't spike a lot, stays well withing the "okay" area on the guage. seems to always spike "up" (to like 14.5 volts or so), not really down below 14.

Can the regulator be changed out of th alt or would I need a new alt on the truck?

8. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

just get a new alternator, if its bad. You can get a lifetime warranty w/ new ones. No real damage can be done if it's minimal, thats what fuses and stuff are for. The alternator charges the battery, if its slightly low or slightly high, it'll take a little longer or faster in either case. Bigger alternators recharge the battery faster. All electronics are drawn from the battery in some way, not the alternator.

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

my stepper motor is bad in my 04 chevy 2500 HD. they are replacing them

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What exactly did yours do, how'd you know it was the stepper motor? Was it covered under the warranty?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

mkwl Here a thread from a few weeks ago with the stepper motor info in it if it turns out that what the problem is: Gage cluster

The voltage regulars don't die too often on the newer twin fan style alternators (like your truck uses). But GM doesn't consider these style alternators as a "repairable" component either. Replace the alternator as a whole if it needs it...

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I put my Dad's voltage/tach meter on it- reads steady at an idle at a hair short of 14 volts. The needle on the guage in the truck seems to only move up a little and "fluctuate" when I'm driving (engine RPM is up)- again though, doesn't move mnore than 1 or 2 "tick" marks about the 14 volt line.

Could this be the guage that is no good?

Is it common for hte guage to go bad and be just a "little off"?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, and yep...especially on the 03-05 trucks.

Did you hold the rpm's up a bit and check to see if it fluctuated on the volt meter? If it was still steady then but the gage in the cluster still "twitched" then it's the gage. They'll do that many times before they die completely. Can also work for a long time with the twitch and never totally die.

14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

just had mine done today at the old exeter chevy