1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voltage gauge on ford diesel acting funny

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by broke down, Jan 26, 2012.

1. broke down

broke down Junior Member
    from se wi

Hello all I an fairly new to this site and think it is great. I have a 97 ford diesel truck an all of a sudden I have ben experiencing a problem with the volt gauge in the dash. Last week after plowing for about 6 hours it was brought to my attention that the volt gauge was in the what I will call low charge position. Since then I have had the alt checked and serviced because of a diode problem. The batteries were also checked and I was told they were both ok. After my alt repair the gauge has never returned to the normal position where it has always been except just after start up or if you had a lot of plow use at a low rpm. I have never had a problem with this to date and cannot figure out what to do next. Do I have a bad gauge? Is it a grounding problem? Seems funny to me that the gauge showed some trouble I fixed the alt and I still show a low charge. If you lightly tap on the dash you can get the gauge to move a little. Also when the plow was on the truck when I lifted it up the needle did not move, in the past the needle would always move a little and then return to the normal position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched old threads and do not find any with this problem. Thanks again

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

just finishing chasing a similiar problem...hooked second guage toanother power source and confirmed the same readings...they were....so instead of just looking at connections, i pulled apart the grounds and cleaned them.also did the pos junction block on the firewall...low and behold the problem went away.....

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i would verfy the low charge issue. is it really low??? take a meter to it and verify it.

4. broke down

broke down Junior Member
    from se wi

Thanks for the help guys finally had time this morning to play with the truck. It turns out it was the gauge all the charging system is operating correctly, got a gauge and it works perfectly. Thanks again for the help it was greatly appreciated, this site is great too!

5. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

never fully trust factory gauges in the 80's and 90's vehicles there one step above idiot lights.