1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

voltage gage going to zero

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rjnjr1019, Jan 15, 2009.

1. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have been plowing the last few days and my voltage gage has gone down to zero three times now anyone else ever have this happen to them? i hear the chime come on look at my gages and see the voltage is on zero for a few seconds then it goes back up to normal I have a 05 ram 1500 with a hemi in it
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My guess is its because you only have one battery and you have not done anything with the alternator. After moving the plow up and down a few times it may take a few seconds for the electrical system to catch up with itself. Too much draw on a stock non plow preped truck
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Check your connection on the Battery
  4. DHDB

DHDB Member

voltage drop

I have had this happen to me last year and this year also. I'll be driving to a job and the chime goes off. Look down and voltage has dropped (3-4 sec.) then back to normal. Plow is not in use, lights are off, heater & radio on etc...
    I have asked people what this is from.... still no idea. I had everything checked for a bad ground... nothing.
  5. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I have an 05 2500 Hemi, and it does the same thing when operating the plow.
    Been to the dealer, and the folks that installed the plow. All systems check OK, been doing this since new, plow must draw too much for the alternator, and sets off the alarm. (I have the plow prep package)
    Hasn't done any harm that I can see, been doing it since 12/04 when I bought the truck and plow.
  6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I had the larger alternator, but upgraded from the factory battery to an Optima Battery. The OEM was rated @ ~ 600CCA & 38 AH to an Optima Red Top @ ~ 800CCA & 50 AH. Its still not enough when I add the Plow, Strobes, Light Bar (with 4 Lights), Sub & Amp :) I'll probably be upgrading to a Odyssey 2150 which is 1090 CCA & 100 AH. Its almost like having the capacity of 2 Optima Batteries!

Sometimes, we just draw alot of amps!
  7. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. let me know if the bigger battery does the trick.
  8. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

My 2008 ram 1500 was doing the same thing. was doing it even before the plow.

Just had it checked out at a local elec shop and my 136amp was only putting out 50amps at full load.Checked the diodes and they were ok,they said the windings could be bad.Going to the dealer monday.

Maybe chrysler is giving us junk altenators so they can save moneypayup
  9. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

My 2003 2500 Hemi is doing the same thing. I am finally noticing it due to the white-out snow conditions we are having. The defroster is on high, headlights, warning lights, and heated mirrors all on. The voltage goes to 0 and the "Check gauges" light and bell comes on. It goes off after a few seconds. I will be looking to upgrade the electrical system over the summer.