1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

voltage drop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Jan 12, 2012.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

hey guys i got a new to me truck this fall it's a 2003 1500hd i think it needs a new battery there have been a couple times the battery just about died and it didn't want to start if i let it sit a few days. today when i was driving the voltage would read ok i have a bully dog and it said the battery was at 13.6v to 14.2v while driving but when i came to a stop it dropped to 10v or lower and the lights would dim. is this just the battery or could it be the alternator i don't really have the money to throw at it. thanks in advance for the advice

2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

In NW Ohio a recent Auto Zone radio ad said they test both battery & alternator for free, maybe the same where you're at.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

more than likely,,its the alt. but your batt may be going out too because your alt is not charging. id put the farm on the alt.

4. plowin207

plowin207 Member

when i got home i checked the battery after it sat for an hour or so the battery was still at 12.6v and i tested the alt charging at 14.6v and 14.06 with the heat on high and the headlights on for some load.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But u said you saw the volt drop to 10 at idle right? Could be alt is on its last leg

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how is the belt?

7. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

pull them both and have load tested at parts store. this is the only shurefire way to tell.