1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

volt meter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by harrison6jd, Jan 27, 2014.

1. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

how far does your voltmeter drop when you activate a plow function? i have an 03 2500hd with a duramax and it drops to 9 or close to it. normal? i have a minute mount 2 on the truck.

2. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I've got an 03 GM 2500HD 6.0L and mine goes down about the same or more... My radio will cut out from time to time, lights dim a lot, heater fan slows down, etc... Everything is usually right back to par after a short drive. I have a Meyer E-47 with 7.6 plow.

3. myzx6

myzx6 Member

I have an 02 2500hd with the 8.1l that I added a second battery to. 7.5 mm1 and my volt gauge drops to 12. Do u have your positive and negative hooked straight to the battery. I had my positive tied into the distribution block when I first bought it and my voltage was dropping about to where yours is, swapped to battery terminal and saw a huge improvement

4. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

yes,they are hooked up directly. maybe its always been like this but i just happened to notice it the last time i used it. its only been on for 2 seasons. batteries are new in 2012 but the alternator is about 4 years old.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Can't always trust dash gage.Put a real voltmeter on the battery while someone lifts plow,might not be as bad as it seems.

6. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Ive got a 07 lbz dmax with 2 new batteries and 2 alts(i added the second) on my edge cts moniter it will never drop below 14.1 all night with all accesories on- strobes,defrost,heated seats,6 back up lights. I suggest doing the dual option. It can be done for roughly 200.

7. forwhlr989

forwhlr989 Member

I use to have the same plow on my dmax and it dropped about that low. If i turned the heat way down it helped some. as long as everything went right back to normal it never bothered me.