1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Volt meter reading???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AboveTheCut, Jan 3, 2006.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut Junior Member

2000 Dodge 3500 Sport Dually, Cummins. What should the volt meter be reading while driving / idling? I think my alternator is on the fritz.
    thanks

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Must trucks/cars when the truck is running sould read ~14volts...

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All 3 of mine read 14v to 15v depending on the load they can drop a little to 12v to 13v.
    you can have your alt tested at any descent auto shop.

4. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Your voltage will drop considerable at startup while the grid heaters cycle when it is cold out, and this is a normal conditon. Mine will drop to about 10-11 volts if it is really cold out, them come up to just above 14 volts which is normal. It should stop cycling once you pass 18 mph or let it time out, which takes a while. Is that what you are talking about? Or do you always have low voltage ? What does yours read?

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Mine runs a needle width to the high side of the center line on the guage normally (all year) except when there's a large draw (after plowing a drive for example) it'll run a needle width below the line or dead on the line. It's about 14 volts (proper charge should be 14.2V I think)

6. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Proper charge is 14.6 and proper battery voltage is 12.6 when truck is off with nothing drawing from the battery. Have the truck's chargeing system load tested. Some auto parts shops will do this for free..

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I just cheeked my 98 Dodge 2500 gasser with a 136amp alt (new) and two (new) Batteries, voltage at the batteries after the truck has sat for a while is 12.8 and the violate at idle is 14.4.