1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voided Warranties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cutting Edge Kid, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

I've seen alot of guys with plows on Explorers, Wranglers, S-10's, Rangers, and other mid-sized trucks/SUV's. Many different manufacturers make a plow for these kind of vehicles including Western, Snoway, Fisher, and Meyer to name a few. I was curios about how you guys get away with that when trying to get a warranty repair? I was told by my dealer that if you don't have a snow plow prep package or a 3/4 frame, you'll void the vehicles warranty. Just curious about this? Thanks for your help!!!

The Cutting Edge Kid!

'02 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext. Cab W/7'2" Western LSX Plow
    '89 Ford F250 W/Western 7'6" Plow

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

My understanding is unless the vehicle came with a factory snowplow prep package the dealer does not have to warranty repairs that can be linked to snowplow wear and tear. So if your ball joints fail in 8,000 miles you could be on your own. However, if your radio stopped working they should fix it.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

What it comes down to is how do you know they are trying to get warranty repairs? My 2000 Dodge Ram has never needed to go back to the dealer,its been trouble free.Maybe they are the same way.The 91 GMC i bought went back once.I knpw the prevoius owner ,it needed a tailgate strap under warranty, Most new trucks are out of warranty in under 2 yrs anyway.I could care less about my warranty ,I do all my own work.Every time i let the dealer do warranty work on my chevys,it was a disaster.I ended up redoing 1/2 the work anyway.

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

John

I absolutely agree .When we let dealers do warranty work the quality of the work is never there . never ...... I have fixed dealer service repair screwups myself too

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I have not had a problem getting any warranty work on my powerstroke excursion with my Meyer or my Blizzard 810.

Just some funny looks.

Even talked about trading it in at one point and not even a question about the plow.

Howard

6. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

And take your mount off before getting service:D Just kidding,, :rolleyes: You can ask your dealer, they are upfront on it....

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

if you have plow prep on a 1/2 ton chevy, the warranty wont be voided. I have a 3/4 ton with a plow, and that doesnt void warranty either. I think it comes down to the dealer as well. some are real sticklers on stuff like that, while others could give a hoot. luckily, i know my service manager real well. i plowed his driveway for free the last few storms . works out great if i need a quick fix or something.:D Ive heard ford is worse about that. for instance, if you put a plow on a diesel crew cab, they void the warranty from what im told.

8. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I talked to numerous dealers(service not sales) and almost all said that as long as its not blatant abuse(i.e. in for 5 trannys) they said they would warranty it and if it has had proper maintenance this was looking at S10s Rangers Mazdas all of the compacts another hint, promise them good service surveys

9. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a 03 F350 PSD SD crew cab short box. When I bought it I asked about voiding the warranty if I put a plow on it. They said no problem, the would fix it. They even wrote it on the sales contract.

10. drobson

drobson Senior Member

Remember that the warranty is either through Ford, GM, etc or a third part insurance company. The dealership want to do the work because they get paid by the warranty. As long as the dealer doesn't mention the plow to the warranty company, nobody will know the difference and the dealership is happy to have you come back for more repairs. Of course if you have the plow prep package then it won't matter anyway. I also believe that a lightweight plow will be within warranty guidelines for some vehicles without the prep package.

11. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

When we bought our 02 Durango, of course they tried to sell us th extended warranty package. So we told them right out that we were putting a plow on it, so we figured the warranty would be void anyway. To our surprise, it was not. He even called the "home" warranty office to be sure. I agree with the above about warranty repairs, though. If we break something, we just fix it. Our plow trucks are our tools. Sometimes tools break, and you just repair them. Chuck Smith may get after me for this, but we actually run plows that are over-rated for the vehicle. Sno-Way told us we should only put a 7' on the Durango, and we went with the 7.5'. How can you get anything done with that small of a plow? We have had a 9' Fisher with wings, so 10.5' width, on Broncos and Blazers, which I know they would tell you they are not rated for. Even with the 8.5 Boss on our 3/4 ton Ford, it was actually only rated for the 8' plow. We probably go through more u-joints that we would otherwise, but we more than make up for it in the increased amount of work we can get done with the bigger blades.

12. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Along with "stanley52"........the dealer Service Manager has the final say on warranty work. Regardless of what the warranty states, if he thinks the damage is from abuse or the vehicle hasn't been properly cared for he can refuse to do a "warranty repair".

13. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

A plow on a Crew cab with diesel may exceed the front axle rating. That's why Ford or any other manufacturer won't warrant it. The manufacturer is not responsible if you overload the truck.

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Guys...You are right about voided warranties !
    When I got my 01 GM I wanted another 1/2 ton
    ex-cab.
    Dealer said NO plow prep on 1/2 ex-cabs NO
    warranty. I had bought 3 new cars from this
    dealer too. Went to other GM dealers...same
    deal.......
    They told me 1/2 ton reg cab has plow prep......
    If you want ex-cab go 3/4 ton. If you have any
    plow related breakage.......
    Bring it on IN we WILL warranty !

YET again I see NEW GM 1/2 x-cabs with dealer
    installed plows. I guess its just the dealer..some
    don't care as long as you bought it there.....geo

Last edited: Feb 20, 2003
  15. long0

long0 Senior Member

As mentioned above, I believe it really comes down to each dealer. The more attitude you give the dealer, the less responsive they are going to be to help solve the problem.

When I bought my truck, I needed a truck quick. There was nothing in the state that had what I wanted, and the plow prep package. The president of the dealership, along with the service manager and the sales manager each signed the sales agreement where we had hand written in that all plow related warranty issues would be handled just as if the truck had the plow package. So far it has not been an issue, but I like having that ace in my pocket if something comes up.

16. Alpha42

Alpha42 Junior Member

Mostly depends on the Dealer for sure. However if you get a technical snafu where it comes down to who is going eat the failed transfer care or tranny for 2 grand or more watch the sparks fly then. I would never use a vehicle that was too light duty to tow or plow if there was even a chance I had to pay to fix it if it failed. Better to just get what you need-cheap is actually expensive in the long run.