1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Voided Jeep warranty because of plow.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Dec 2, 2004.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I bought a 2003 Jeep Rubicon for doing around 50 residentials and Chrysler voided my warranty. Why I'm mentioning this again is because the other day I took it in to talk to the service manager and see if they will replace a door seal and they where very nice and said the warrranty void is just for my drive train, but when I went to pick it up, again he said that he made a mistake and that even though he fixed the seals next time I can't bring it in for anything. I really don't need a big truck for my business and I'm wondering what to do in the future. I really wish there was a small diesel truck that I could find that they would let me use for plowing and not void my warranty :cry:

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

A heavy diesel in a small truck would definately not make a good plow truck. The dealer needs to prove that the problem is related to the plow, you may be able to get them to back off.

3. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

cja1987 is right...They need to show that the "uncovered" issue is related to your plow....if you have any problems, call your Chrysler regional warranty rep. :waving: They usually get the dealers to back off a bit.

They tried that on me when I put a Supercharger on my 5.9L Grand Cherokee and they wouldn't fix my radio. I called the regional rep and he straightened it up. :nod:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

someone I know bought a new Jeep and told them he was mounting a plow and if it would be a problem with the warranty, got it in writing that it would not.

if the warranty does not SPECIFICALLY say plowing will void the warranty you may stand a chance, it may say something about commercial use, but that would be for them to prove- who says you dont plow your driveway and a private parking lot for your business?

another guy I plowed with bought a diesel Excursion and told them he would be plowing with it and if there were any issues, the sales people told him no

he goes in for service- they see a plow set up and try giving him some crap about the plow- turns out they could not void the warranty and had to cover it.

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

talk to your service manager and reg. rep about Magnoson Moss. its a federal law that says they much prove without a doubt, and it is their responsibility not yours, that what ever you did caused the problem. i.e. they cannot void your door sill warranty unless they prove the plow warped your frame.

again its on them to prove you broke it, not you proving you didnt! try its fun!

6. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

I learn something new every day

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This is true, they can void drive train warranty but not door seals and general electronics and such. This is a good argue ment for using a older non warranty unit though. Get you a old CJ7 with leaf springs in front. Those were tuff little critters.

8. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

voids total warrenty.

9. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

the only thing that can void yoru warranty is if you abuse your vehicle and they have to prove it. Go to another dealer and have them service it. When your ready to buy another vehicle,remember what dealer did you right.

I design the service tools for Ford dealers, and I am constantly working with Engineers. You would be shocked if you saw how much durabilty testing they do to support plows and heavy loads.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I too had warranty denile issues with my 97 Chevy 1/2 without VYU factory plow prep. at a dealer (not the selling dealer).

I just called another dealers service dept. spoke with the mgr.
    Fixed for free ..NO problem ! (also not the selling dealer).

I have broken some expensive stuff under warranty!

I made SURE any truck after that has factory plow prep.!.......geo. :drinkup:

11. Tarkus

It really depends on dealer as it does not as a rule void everthing, just things directly effected by it. When I by a new truck I get dealer to put plow purchase on invoice for it is a approved option. (even though it is not mounted yet)

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

one issue with the Libety is the uni body. Not sure if it is designed to have the extra weight hanging off the front which can stress the body more. that could lead to some problems.

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I wouldn't give up too easy. Contact Chrysler.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

An 03 Rubicon is not a Liberty, it's a Wrangler with locked Dana 44's front and rear and 4.11 gears, which is more than capable of carrying a plow.

15. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Definitley check your owners manual and see what it says. Sounds like the dealer is Bull !#!# ing you and they're just trying to get out of repairing anything. When in doubt, go to another dealer. The dealer I bought my truck from told me the same thing about my truck. After talking to Gm
    customer care and a more reputable service dept I was assure my truck was still warrantied, but if I was to blow a trans over the winer in the middle of a storm I am fcuked!! Plain and simple. They can't not replace a loose door hinge or bad ecu because of a plow.
    Good luck man.

16. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

How about this one..My dealer tried to void my warranty because I had a plow set up on my 2001 Dodge Dump with a factory snowplow prep package? I asked him if the brand new truck in the front parking lot had a voided warranty also because of it's new plow!

17. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Dealerships + un-eduacated about their product salesmen x cocky technicians = major PITA

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

festerw your right, for some reason i thought he said a Liberty. Bet the rubicon would be fun with the slectable lockers.

19. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

easy money

some dealers do not see warranty work for what it is: product support and easy money. I do not think that you will buy a jeep from that dealership again. find an authorized service facility that actually wants your business. the laws are in your favor. after 36k they can go pound sand.

20. Tarkus

Its all about the weight and strain on front end. A plow can tax a front end a good bit and the drivetrain as well in a big vehical and a small one even more. The new jeeps have evolved as more of a trail/street vehical with nicer ride but not quite as strudy as the old CJ's of past for plow duty hence the warranty issues. Not like the old days when you could buy a Jeep new with a plow and the frames were predrilled for them too.