1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VMD75 too heavy for 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by nelson4047, Aug 23, 2012.

1. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

Has anyone tried the VMD75 on 07 or newer 1/2 ton GM? I dont need a 3/4 ton the rest of the year & was wondering how the front end (bearings,ball joints ect.) holds up to the extra wieght? I know it will need timberens & maybe a torsion "twist". lookin for a little feedback, or any problems i should know about with this plow before i buy one. thanks

2. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Can you tell me a little bit more about the truck.

Engine
    Classic or new body style
    Plow prep on it?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if you could stuff some GK bars under there, even if just for the winter?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

700lbs is a lot of weight for a GMT900 front axle.

5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Snowdogg site said it will work but like bashed said it pretty heavy for the truck. But it's possible

6. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

Im gonna buy a newer truck have an 03 gmc now with pro on it & handles it fine but like basher said 700 lbs might be a bit much. how bout Dodge or ford 1/2 tons, is their front end heavy enough? I,m sure any of them will need beefed up alittle.

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Remember, not every truck can carry every plow - it depends entirely on the truck configuration and spring package.

The VMD75 weighs about the same as our HD75, which was designed originally with the Ford F150 plow prep in mind (prior to 2011 obviously).

It will fit on to most real plow prep 1/2T trucks - which is admittedly a small subset of 1/2T's in the market. Take a look at http://www.snowdoggplows.com/plowselector5/ShowVehicles.aspx and punch in VMD75 to get a feel for what you can put it on.

I'd love to have designed a lighter V-plow, but I chose to make a tough one instead. The VMD has the same hinge, cylinders and hydraulics as our full size VX's. If you actually get out a scale, it doesn't weigh much more then any of our competitor's product.

On a seperate note, GM's are SOFT in the front end (even with stiff springs) - regardless of their actual capacity, some sort of suspension booster will be needed. The good news is that V's carry better than straights (as they tuck back in towards the truck, keeping the CG closer to the front axle when in transport).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As Scott said vehicles vary. while it might work well on one it could be to heavy for another. Example 2007Dodge 1/2 ton quad cab is available in a 6300 and 8500 GVWR.

9. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

We have installed them on chevy's with a load booster. They have worked fine. Like Basher & Scott said the truck configuration is the real answer if it will work.

10. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

thanks everyone for the input now time to go truck shopping. that site was very helpful thanks scott

11. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Good luck.

12. NTO

NTO Junior Member

I have a VMD on my 2009 GMC Sierra. Thought it would be too much for the front end, but not the case. I have load range E tires on the front along with a 2" leveling kit. Truck plows great and haven't had any issues. If I can dig up some pictures, I will post them of my gear.