1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vmd 75 questions

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by snowcrazy, Mar 8, 2013.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Im thinking about either the md 75 or the vmd 75 for a 2003-2005 chevy (havent bought yet) regular cab short box truck.

This will be a driveway rig/small parking lot rig. My questions are,

1st I see on the snowdogg site that the vmd75 saids its is for PLOW PREP TRUCKS........... Not sure what they mean by that???? Like I said Im just wanting this on a 1/2 ton reg cab short box truck. Just looking for as good of a driveway rig as possible.

2nd question is, if the vmd75 will work CAN I GET A BACK DRAG?????

any info appreciated.!!!

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

The straight blade md75 weighs 400 pounds, the VMD weighs 700 pounds. That is a difference of 300. That is the reason they recommend "plow prep".

The trucks with a plow prep package usually have a stiffer / stronger front suspension and higher front GAWR. That plow is pretty heavy for a normal 1/2 ton Chevy.

But I am sure you can put the VMD on that truck but:
    1. It won't be legal if you get stopped by DOT
    2. It will burn front end parts up quick.

That said I also know a local guy here that runs a blizzard 810 on his ram 1500, (boy that looks like it hurts). He has been running it for at least 2 years, and its still going.

Ultimately its your choice. Good luck.

3. Noobie2012

Noobie2012 Junior Member

I run the MD75 on a 2000 Tahoe (same wheelbase as a shortbox regular cab) and it works great. I wouldn't want to go any heavier though. Maneuverability with the short wheelbase is excellent, I just wish it had wings for that little extra width at times.

4. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I have the VMD on my 97 Tahoe in my fleet. Truck has a 2" lift kit installed. The rest of it is stock I love the VMD. I used to have a MD75 on this truck and then switched to the VMD. What a night and day difference. Can't argue with the versatility of the VMD either. Its one hell of a plow. Buyers is talking about making a back drag blade for next year I believe for their VMD. I've worked without it this season and its still great once the cutting edge is worn in.