1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vision/Seeing your plow over the hood

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by danielboone, Nov 24, 2011.

1. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

OK. This just shows you how much of a rookie I am. I would anticipate I am going to run into situations where I don't have a good sense of where my plow is since I can't see too well over the front of my F250. I am referring more to the right side that would be harder to see. I know the pros with experience develop this sense and probably know within inches exactly where their plow is and how close they can get without hitting something. One obvious method would be to try and use your left side as much as possible if you are running parallel with curbs, rows of cars or getting near any other obstacle. Another rule of thumb might be...if I don't have the wings on I could safely say that my side mirror is pretty close to the projection of the plow when running the blade straight. Therefore if my side mirror is safely clearing these obstacles my plow should be too. YES, I do have plow markers which I am sure will help a lot. I might be making too big of a deal out of this since I have yet to drop a plow in the snow. Have any tips or suggestions for me other than just getting more experience?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

sell the truck, get a jeep and you can see the plow :)

3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Stack the yellow pages phone books on your seat

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just takes experience guy. Using your blade marker help too....I would suggest curb guards so it doesn't eat away at the bottom edge when riding a curb. After a while you'll be able to feel the slightest vibration in your truck from it catching things.

5. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Try some taller plow markers, I used to do all skydrives that when you are at the top of the drive there is no seeing the plow, but I can see the bright orange tip of my candy cane plow marker. I take red and white reflective tape and candy cane my plow markers they are taller and nice and reflective. On the flip side more time in the saddle plowing is always good too, learn your rig and don't set any speed records and you'll be just fine.

6. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

It depends on what your plowing whether or not you would need the edges I would say, if your just doing driveways then you wont need them, or doing big parking lots that are wide open you probably dont need them, personally i dont have them and i do gas stations where you have to get close, but i dont get so close that i rape the curb, thats not good for any of your equipment, but every once in a while you do misjudge, that happens to everyone. And as far as seeing the plow just watch your marker and it will come with experience, when i am driving down the road i always angle my plow with the passangers side stuck out so that i can see it, its not as much that you need to worry about hitting someone, its someone else not paying attentiona nd hitting you. Hope this helps

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

A lot can be learned from looking out your passengers side mirror and see where you have already plowed and adjust. Drop the plow and guess how far you are away from the curb/edge of driveway. Start plowing and then look out the side mirror. Keep doing that and it will help. I did this with my oldest son when he started driving. STILL doing this with the wife. lol

8. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I didn't even think about this, I always set my passenger side mirror so I had a view of my rear tire, I used to do a lot of subdivisions and hoa's so it would help me to not fall off their sky drives. I guess you forget things you automatically have done for years lol. My wife hates reverse so I feel for ya.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Alot of it is trial and error. You push until you think that you are right at the edge of the ditch or driveway or something, and when you pull back, you see that you still had two feet of room left or something. Even going straight down a driveway, how close you are to the edge each time depends on how angled your blade is. You basically just have to re-acclimate yourself each time you are out plowing (at least I do).

10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

And when you run wings, you could put markers on those too.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Given experience and time you'll "know" where the front of the truck is. I almost never worry about the right side, I just know. I also keep my right mirror set to see the rear wheel and often roll the drivers window down and stick my head out to see the plow edge when I'm in drives with walls and tight spaces that are low- it's not the plow I want to see but the obstruction. Becomes second nature just like anything else you do a lot.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When you stop hitting the curb,you'll know your getting better. And put a booster seat in too!

13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

When I switched from my 1500 to a 3/4 ton I lost site of the plow. After one storm it was easy again. 10 ft pretty wide , go slow till you know. I ease into the curbs and can tell when I need to pull away a little, nothing bent yet.

14. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

maybe take a note from school busses? mount mirrors on tall mounts on each corner of the plow, near the plow markers? or mount them to the truck mirrors with velcro straps?
    Then again, if you are THAT close to something and are unsure, you are too close. :laughing:
    maybe even a "backup camera" on the right fender or mirror?
    :nod:

15. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Maybe realize that this thread is nearly 3 years old? Way to try and make fun of someone and end up making yourself look stupid.

16. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Well, some people search the archives for answers rather than re-ask the same questions every few years.
    I found the thread while looking for something else...
    And I wasn't making fun of anyone. It was posted for informational purposes only. Maybe someone else has the same issue now, or in another month?
    I just had this conversation with a client/friend about the fact that you can't see the plow while you are plowing, thats why you need driveway markers and the plow has "those orange ears". He thinks I should get out and look.
    I told him he can ride on the hood and point for me.
    Also, I have a 8' plow and a 8.5' gate at home... mirrors are going to be helpful.
    If posting things like this makes me look stupid, OK. I"ll keep doing it.
    And you can tell me how is using a mirror or camera is a stupid idea.

17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Keep in mind that when it's angled you will have more than the 6 inches clearance you'd have if it was straight.