1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Virginia Snow

Discussion in 'Weather' started by chris694205, Feb 4, 2010.

1. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

anyone hear about all this snow Virginia has been getting.. my old man lives down there and said they are expecting another foot or more.. im ready to make the 10 hour drive and start plowin

2. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

yeah VA,DC, AND MD are expected to get 1-2 foot friday -saturday

3. chris694205

im ready to drive down there...

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive offered a couple times to take a truck or two and a skid steer or two down but no takers. Its only about 5 hrs from us. Maybe I'll just go down, snag a ton of driveways.

5. chris694205

yea i think its a good idea... i probably would only bring one truck with a V plow and possibly a skid steer... just think, pull into a outlet mall, pizza place, gas station etc and ask.. its not like they have much of a choice

6. Brian Young

I am in no way implying these guys down there have no clue or can not keep up. But even up here where we get several of these storms a year (except this year so far) no one can keep up. I'm sure the trucks with plows ratio is far less down there, probably 5 to 1 (us 5, them 1,lol). But again I dont want to give off the vib that companies down there are not professional, just offering a hand.

7. chris694205

def. agree with that... i was under the impression that there werent many companies down there at all doing snow removal

8. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

Subs available

We have plow trucks available - From Michigan & will travel.
    Plow trucks with straight & V plows
    Skid steers with / with out push boxes
    Send PM with contact info if needed.

9. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

There's $$$$$$$$$$$$ fallen from the sky in n.virginia the big money is here

10. crawla

crawla Member

Some of the posts in this thread are funny.

11. Brian Young

Why are they so funny :confused: Just trying to offer a hand. The funny thing is the guys who think they can handle a storm like this by themselves. Good luck in even 1ft of this wet heavy nasty snow. I'm sure the transmission shops are going to be slammed this coming week :laughing: :laughing: Good luck sucka's I'll take my 2-3" storms any day.

12. Brian Young

VA DOT declares they have used 94% of their snow plowing/salting budget. LOL:laughing:

13. crawla

crawla Member

Wasn't directed at you but some of the comments like there aren't any companies down here that do snow removal is kind of funny. People act like we are in the sticks. Just about any landscape or construction company does snow removal and have the bigger equipment like loaders to handle it. I too also like the smaller storms because I make more that way, but if all we get are these bigger storms I guess I'll have to make do.:D
    Its starting to come down good now so I more then likely wont be on here for a couple days, I have money to make.

14. Brian Young

I think a lot of guys like myself just think that there aren't very many plows down your way, or not enough to keep up with this size of a storm. Plus we're bored,lol Pushing even a few inches of this kind of snow is hell on a truck and trying to push 4-6" of it.....yeah! A lot that normally takes an hour now takes about 3. Good luck, stay on top of it and plow with the storm.

15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

The lastest update ............ $$$$$$ to be made still!!!!

Its 8pm EST Sunday nite and I just got off the phone with a good friend from Maine that is working in Virginia this winter he is in Brambleton and they got 30" of snow there yesterday and he just told me that in that huge subdivision there has NOT been a plow in there all day until an hour ago a guy from a hundred miles away that has a sister living there came down with a front end loader and pushed one lane out He claimed that most people there, that have not moved there all day! And it was a beautiful day there today, and actually melting this afternoon. The complex owns two snow blowers, and a two wheel drive ATV with a plow on it, to sevice this whole subdivisions that has over two hundred homes in it???? He claims they showed up there this morning with the snowblowers and two fellas from medico, and within an hour they had "pawnished" both blowers, so they called for backup, and the same guy that brought them in a pickup with monster tires came back to get them and unloaded the ATV with the plow :help: well he said that one of the workers took the helm of the ATV and imeadiately got hoplessly hung up and that was the end of it for the day................... NOTHING done.
    He called me and said it will take 2-3 days to clean up the mess and wanted me to drive all nite to come down; and help them but its 16hrs from here!!!!:cry:
    Anyway if any of you young guys have been sitting around wondering if there is any money to be made down that way head for BRAMBLETON VA :salute:TONIGHT . To give you some idea how much they are paying tonite; he said that some landscaper just droped off a kid with a shovel and he was shoveling the 4ft of snow banks the loader just left; to the back of the cars; and they are paying him $100 ea; to get out into the road !!!!! So they can go to the store!!! He said it is UNREAL that no one in the complex even has a shovel ???? It is just toooo far for us to load up and go from here just for two days but if I were within 4-6hrs of there, I would be loadin my plow into the body of the truck and pickin em up and puttin down RIGHT NOW. He estimated a guy could make around$1500 tommorrow and the next day; per truck,pushing 75ft driveways, as he said that area is compleatly shut right down as of tonite????? I am only repeating EXACTLY what he just told me................:he is a straight shooter and knows snow as he used to plow for the town of Houlton,Me.

16. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

Fisher, you got a number for your buddy, i'm ready to leave Portland tonite.

17. chris694205

its not that i didnt think there were snow removal companies.. i got pics of a suburu with a plow on the back of it, plowing out a mall parking lot the other day in Rocky mount.. so apparently they didnt have big loaders

18. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

Was thinking about heading down anyword on wether or not they still need plow trucks. I have to be in DC on thursday anyway was going to fly down but maybe I should leave now and drive down with the plow truck and tractor with the loader and big blower on the back.

19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Go now as he told me they are NOT going to get this mess cleaned up before the next one ..................... you will make a ton of money but you guys have got to get down there.
    The work is there but you gotta be there to get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:rolleyes:

20. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

fishervman call me I'm in sterling about 6 miles away from him 571 283 5105 Jay