1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

virbration at speeds 40-45mph

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dalejr, Mar 19, 2004.

1. dalejr

dalejr Junior Member
    from pa

I have a 93 k1500 checvy silverado ext. cab 4x4, where do i start? i have a virbration at speeds 40-45 at all times, you can feel it in the steering wheel and twice the steering wheel shook so bad it about knocked my hand off and i had to come to a complete stop. I can feel under my feet when on a dirt road and any uneven road noises while the suspsension is operating and thats annoying too. What is the problem i have. I got 4 new tires and front brakes and rotors and new tie rods and steering stablizer and i still have the problem. My wife is about to kick me out for spending my pay check after pay check on this truck and still didn't get it fix.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Hang with one post there... Sounds like shocks or sway bar link...Chuck
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have seen out of balance drive shafts do this.
    Although never to this extreme.
    Usually drive shafts cause a minor vibration like when your tires are not balanced, but starting at lower speeds like you stated.

Take a look at your drive shaft.
    Look for the little metal rectangular weights that are used to balance the shaft.
    If you don't see any then maybe one fell off.
    Or maybe you will see a clean spot on the drive shaft where it used to be.
    You can also put a drive shaft out of balance by not marking the yokes when you replace U Joints and rotating the yokes to the opposite position when reassembling them.
    I have never seen that happen but i was told in school to always mark them because they are balanced after they are assembled.

You might also have 1 hub not unlocking in the front throwing things out of whack.
    Could also be flat spots on the tires.
  4. Scott W

Scott W Junior Member

You may have a Pitman arm going bad. That happened to my
    88 k1500 in about the same speed range. Wheel shook so bad
    I felt like I was going to fly off the road. Replaced Pitman arm and
    problem went away.
    Good Luck
  5. TerryL

TerryL Junior Member

I had a slight vibration at 45-50mph. Had the truck in for warranty work, Rebuild the Allison and removing rear drive shaft, found really Bad rear U-JOINT. 26K on the truck. When I took it home I thought dealer rotated the tires. I had the tires rebalanced and most of the vibration was gone, moved tires front to back and vibration gone. I thought a belt might have moved, so move the tires back again. That's why I thought the dealer rotated the tires.

Just a thought!:redbounce
  6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I'm have same problem on my Rack truck. Still have the problem after Front brakes rebuilt, lower ball joint, pitman and idler arm, front shocks, tires. Its not as bad. I do have a bad CV joint. Its the only thing left I can think of.