1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Violent Shaking in 2004 3/4 ton.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMSNOW, Oct 26, 2007.

GMSNOW Member

I have a 2004 3/4 ton quad cab - hemi PU. Occasionally when I hit a bump in the road the entire truck begins to shake until I slow down to about 30 mph then it stops. It seems to shake/rattle from rt to left and at higher speeds it is hard to control. I let off the gass and break litely until the truck slows and stops shaking. It kind of feels like you have a flat tire but the whole truck seems to shake.

I have taken it into the dealer but have never been able to get it to happen when I have a dealer rep in the truck. They say they have no record of this problem with other vehicles.

Anyone else have this problem or heard of this before.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Iv'e had the same problems with some dealers.

It is a common problem.
    it could be one of 3or 4 things.

1.It sounds like the track bar is worn out.
    2. steering stabilizer is worn.
    3. ball joints.
    4. worn tie-rod ends

I bet it's the track bar.
    i have replaced mine a couple of times.

There is a aftermarket track bar that uses a heim joint that seams to out last the stock bar.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

On the track bar, is the a small shock like thing?
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Some of us have come to call it the DEATH WOBBLE :eek:
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The track bar is located..
    One end is mounted to the frame on the drivers side
    and the other end goes to the axle on the passengers side.

The steering stabilizer is the shock like thing-a-ma-bob.;)

I bet it's the track bar.
    You can do-it-your self(replace) if your warrenty does not cover it.
  6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd be a little concerned about that dealer. I have an 03' 3/4 ton with the Hemi. The death wobble happened about three month into owning the truck. The dealer knew exactly what the problem was and had it fixed under warranty. I haven't had the problem since.
  7. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I have an 05' that had the same problem. They replaced the stabilizer bar and shocks. I also have a 97' Ram and just the other day driving down the highway almost died after I hit a bump pulling a 24' enclosed trailer and it shook so violently that I had locked up the brakes and had to pull over to the shoulder during rush hour. Scared the hell out of my employees too. I am very scared to drive that truck everyday.
  8. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I had the same exact problem, but with a Chevy truck. I had everything replaced as mentioned and it turned out to be a bad front tire with a faulty steel belt. I only found out after the belt completely let go and I had a bubble on the sidewall. Got 2 new front tires and have not had the problem since.
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I just had the exact same thing happen to me just last week after owning the truck for a year. However, it was soon after I switched to my winter set of tires/rims. I bought the tires used so I am prettey sure that is where the problem is. However, every truck is different. Here is the order I would check things out.

1.) balance wheels
    2.) get alignment
    3.) check track bar
    4.) replace front tires

Death Wobble is usually from one or a combination of the above items.
  10. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

shake rattle roll

sound's like shock's,my old man just about rolled rolled his truck with a trailer on a wash boarded road, put monroe reflex shock's on it and fixed it
  11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Here is a link to a discussion on Death Wobble on 3rd Gen Trucks.

Seems that everyone has different reasons for it happening to them. But, it does give you an idea on where to start.
  12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

He rolled his truck and then put shocks on it? Seems like he would have other things to worry about, like getting a new truck.

I had a 90' one ton Chev that would do the same thing. Had to pull over and do that whole deal. Feel the tire after it happens, its hot as hell. Never bothered to fix it since it was just a backup truck. Did warn the guy who bought it about the issue though. He seemed to know all about it.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: That might be helpful in the chubby pages:dizzy:
    This is MOPARLand
    Your problems do not apply:waving:
    but hey, thanks for sharing!

I stand behind my postsxysport
    I believe his problem is the "track-bar"
  14. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I had the same problem on my 04.5 2500. Turned out to be bad shocks.
  15. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

Thanks for all the quality feedback.

I already planned to put on new tires before the snow flies and have things balanced and aligned - so I will start there. If not I will then move on to the track bar...

I will update this conversation when I find out what I needed to do to get rid of the problem.

Thx again.
  16. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I had all 4 tires replaced and was told I also needed new tire rod ends - ball joints and universal joints.

I drove with the new tires for about a week before I had the other work done and I never had the violent shaking again.

I then took the truck to have these other repairs done and ended up having everything but the front shocks replaced. Total on the front end work $2450 ouch!! With the tires costing $735 - maybe I should have just traded the vehicle in and got a new one. But this is my only truck as a small operator and at this time of the year I needed my truck to get all of my work done before any snow may fly.

Hope to run this truck until next fall and then get rid of it,

Thx for all the advice.
  17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

GM, glad you got the problems worked out. If it makes you feel better, I have replaced everything in my front end (ball joints, outer u-joints, hub bearings, etc...) this year at a cost of $2500. Did you go with greaseable parts or dealer stuff?
  18. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I have experianced the death wobble in Dodge, Ford and Chevy's. They were all in one tons that always have a moderate load on them.
  19. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Sometimes I hear this called the "panhard bar" or "panhard rod." It's what laterally locates the axle (keeps it from moving side to side).
  20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

That's what Jeep ;) called them.
    Then you go to the dodge book and I
    believe they call them track-bars;)

some times cousins don't communicate..:D