1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

violent front end bounce

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just read a thread about this, cant locate it again. I just put my 82 on the road, find that occasionally when i hit a bump just right, the front suspension begins bouncing violently, almost like an oscillating I guess? It's so bad it scares the crap out of me, have to stop to make it go away, but then you can drive again. I have been told numerous things it could be. People say the steering stabilizer, well I ordered a new one, but in the meantime I looked at the old one to see if it was leaking or damaged, it looks brand new! Probably the p.o. had it replaced in an attempt to correct the problem. Others say lower balljoints, I've checked them twice and they feel fine. My cousin told me his 3/4 did the exact same thing and it ended up being wheel bearings. So I checked and the right side had a little bit of play, so I just replaced them. Didn't change a thing. I thought maybe shocks, but doesn't it seem like if the shocks were bad it would just bounce slowly and soupy? This is a fast, ultra violent bouncing, I'm certain a front tire is leaving the ground. It's happening at about 30-40 mph, I wouldn't want to experience it any faster. I feel a little faint beginnings of it at lower speeds, but it doesn't get really bouncing. Overall the truck rides like crap. I understand it's a big heavy old 1 ton, but I am very accustomed to old live axle trucks, and 1 tons. This thing really rides bad.
    What about springs, there's none broken that I can see, but if the shocks were bad or something, idk, could they do this? Also, I noticed there are two bumpstops, one over the axle and another behind it over the spring. There are rub marks from contact, and they only clear the spring by an inch or two. I think this is involved somehow, maybe when the truck bottoms out a gainst the bumpstops it is doing something weird.
    SO, lastly, I have a set of good front 4 inch lift springs and Rancho shocks, which I wanted to wait until spring to install. No way do I want to try replacing shocks when I already have a good set waiting for the lift. What are the odds the problem will go away when I change the springs and shocks?

Thanks for reading the long post, and hope somebody can help.

2. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Go to pirate4x4.com/forum and search "death wobble" If I remember right, its an issue with the kingpins (you said one ton, so I assume its a 60 front?). That should get you pointed in the right direction.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

crew cab . so its a true 1 ton.

this is a fun one for non old school techs to pin point. but use guys in the 4x4 offroad world deal with it all the time ............ a lot.

its a simple easy fix for you.

here ya go i wont even type it out its all in here. and thay sell the parts needed . and great guys to deal with i have gotten thousands of dollers worth of stuff over the years from them.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/D60kingpinspring-bushing.htm

you need the kit with 2 springs/2 bushings/2 washers.

if me and want a little better protection from this reuse your old washers and add them on the top of the new springs for extra pressure.

and if you want some severe duty bushings over the stock plastic stuff try these . yes 100 bucks but good stuff.

http://www.cmperformancemachine.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=249&page=1

if you think that shimmy shake is bad try it with 38-40" tall tires. :eek:

fyi in the offroad world its called DEATH WOBBLE

anymore questions just ask me buddy . :salute:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. Detroitdan

Rat, I try to avoid Pirate, worst online forum I've ever visited. Should be called "biggestcollectionofa**holes4x4.com.

K30, thanks a bunch! I've often heard the term death wobble, but I thought it was only attributed to the CJ issue caused by the spring shackles being installed in the wrong place from the factory, and cured by a shackle reversal.

5. Detroitdan

just read the link, that's awesome, has to be the problem. Cant understand why others have the same problem and a stabilizer or a wheelbearing fixed it. I guess Ican see where a new stabilizer might mask it.. Anyway, thanks again, I knew I could get help here!

6. sweetk30

basicly there is lots of reasons for it,. and most bandaid it with stabilizer or redo the wheel bearings and GET LUCKY.

but when a stock or lifted dana 60 axle truck gets it this is the FIRST place to go and fix somthin for cheep but efective fix.

ya pirate 4x4 is a bunch of mostly little computer internet nerds with big typing fingers.

but thay do have some killer info and writeup / builds over there. Thumbs Up

just have to wear a flame suit when typping over there just in case.

dont forget just ask me if you got anymore on this.

i had a guy come in 1 time. he had been to 3 shops and 1 was the dealer. no one could figure it out. i told him the problem at the counter with out drivin his truck. he said order it. installed and fixed it 100% man was he happy.

7. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I agree completely that most of the users on Pirate are a-holes that hurl insults while hiding behind a keyboard, but there is a lot of good info on there as long as you are willing to search for it yourself and dont get bothered by keyboard jockeys who claim to know it all but wont share it. Hope you get it fixed.

8. sweetk30

yes that is true about pirate.