1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VIOLENT angle to the left....

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ChevKid03, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Quick question... (hopefully).. I have a MMII 8' X-blade SS and was wondering if there is a way to "slow" the hydraulics.. If I angle the plow to the left it is EXTREMELY fast and when I take my hand off the joystick it shakes the truck violently... If I angle the plow to the right it feels just right.. not too slow, not too fast and also very smooth... I just want the left angle to be as smooth as the right angle.. Any suggestions? thanks..

2. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

Buy a Fishstick....poof..its like magic..LOL

3. Corelli

Corelli Junior Member

I've never owned an x-blade so you'll need to take this with a grain of salt. But it would sound to me like a poppet-valve issue, one is staying open or closed or is just faulty in general. I may be way off base here as I'm unsure of how those systems are set up but hopefully that steers you in the right direction.

Not sure how a fishstick would solve your problem as it's just sending a signal from the cab control to the plow motor.

Really sounds like a hydraulic/valve issue.

4. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

Ask around, anyone thats used a Fishstick after using a Joystick notices the difference, a Fisher tech also put on one of the threads that the Fisher systems are known for doing that, you want smoother, buy a Fishstick...Coming from a tech, not me!..But I have seen the difference for myself..so..to each is own I guess right?

:drinkup:

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

as long as it isn't going to mess something up.... it's staying the way it is..

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Something is not right if its that violent. deffinatly sounds like a poppet or cross over relief issue.

7. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

I wouldnt wait until something is messed up to try to solve this problem...It will end up costing you more than if you take care of it soon...theres alot you can mess up swinging 750lbs on the front of your truck! I first posted mentioning to get a Fishstick, because of what a tech for Fisher had mentioned, but if its rediculously violent...I would check it out..Fisher Dealer could find problem pretty quick, Im sure its common. Ive heard others on here talk about having the same problem.

8. peconicwaters

peconicwaters Junior Member
    from L.I N.Y

It sounds like a hydraulic problem more than anything.

9. Crash935

It is going to mess something up. Get it in and get it looked at. If it drops a spring and you end up with little pieces of spring floating around the valve body your going to be pissed that your pump is a POS every time you have to take it in to have it flushed out.

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Going to bring it in today... thanks guys.

11. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

UPDATE*************** I'm a ******.... I brought the truck in to have it looked at and was told that the issue was controller related. The Fisher guy told me that ALL plows with the joystick controller "stop" angling harder and a little more violent to the left. He told me that I had nothing to worry about and if I wanted to fix it, buy a fishstick. I guess they "soften" the on/off feature of the hydraulics while using. There were a few other guys there having their plows looked at and I asked each of them to pick up their plow and move to the left, then let go of the joystick before it angles all the way.... Every one did the same thing mine does, so I'm over it. Thanks for the help fellas.. I guess this is what happens when you take somone that is used to using a Curtis and move them over to something new.

12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

the joystick does this dont know why it just does
    the fishstick has a gliding stop feature which will lalow ofr the plow to "glide" for a second after you let go of the button for a smoother stop..

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Funny thing is once you use the joystick for a while is takes a bit to get use to the fishstix. You can never get it to angle just right from the start. It always seems to float past what you want. U miss that snappy stop. But once you get it down and get use to a fishstix yuou wont go back

14. Crash935

I dont know about what the dealer told you, after having installed hundereds of westerns i have never really noticed a harder or violent stop while going to the left. There really isnt any reason for the stop to the left to be harder than to the right.

Run with it if you want.

15. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

This is what I was saying in my 1st post. The Fishstick is MUCH smoother in my opinion from using the joystick as well. A couple of the guys were mentioning vavle problems, and I started to agree after reading them, but for your sake Im glad it was that simple. That Fisher Tech I talked to knew his facts! Good luck with it in the future

and ahh....buy a Fishstick!!

16. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I appreciate your concerns crash, but the other 3 plows I tried while there did the same thing. I am going to get the fishstick to ease the movement a bit, but I'm sure it is going to be to get used to. I love the joystick.