1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

violence in the snow removal business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by margesimpson, Oct 18, 2004.

1. margesimpson

margesimpson Junior Member

:gunsfiring:

have you ever seen guys fist fight when an account gets taken away. i know a fat :angry: guy that threatens everyone in our area. any good violence stories?

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have never herd of anyone getting whooped in my area over just plowing. I have herd of guys getting their valve stems cut, 1 pin missing, plow-salter wires cut, & spark plug wires dis-organized. Nothing really to go to the hospital for!

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If that fat guy was in my area, he would het his ass kicked by a bunch of people. I'd like to meet this guy. Sounds like the only thing he's good for is ballast in the bed of my truck. :drinkup:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Fist fights over plowing? Nothing like that around here. In fact, I have the only ad out for plowing in this area.

As an illustration - last winter another guy I know who plows and I were standing around at the restaurant, talking. A guy walks up and asks if either of us plows snow and could we come and plow his driveway? I asked where and from what he told me, I guess either of us could have covered it. But it was in an area where he has more accounts than I did, so I asked if he wanted it. He did, so that was fine with me. Before that, he'd referred a potential customer in the same area to me, so it all works out. :nod:

5. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

Mick has hit the nail right on the head, If you do a good job and don't be greedy, good jobs in a close proximity will come in due time.

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

How exactly is he threating other companies??

7. margesimpson

margesimpson Junior Member

he said he would slap him in the neck or ear area. it was ugly - this dude is big, fat bald and can beat some ass :realmad: .. alot of us are just going to give up our accounts.. plus his dad is the president of the UAW :cry: around here - hes got more back than J-lo. its a big problem

8. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

This story is getting fishy,How can a guy for no apparent reson walk up to you slap you in the neck ears face whatever and get away with it.Has he ever done this to you? How old is this person?

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

must be a bunch of sissys in your area to let some big fat ass get away with that

10. The Boss

:redbounce LMAO!!! :nod: :drinkup:

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

yea I got threatened by someone on the east side, he said he would slit my tires, probably some tweaker :dizzy:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  12. Ripple

Ripple Member

:redbounce :redbounce
    ROFLwmm pumpkin: :bluebounc

13. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

IF THE FAT GUY PULLED THAT IN JERSEY, FURGETABOUTIT...... WE WOULD LEAVE HIM IN THE PINES...

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :bluebounc

14. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I have a gun and a bat behind my seat.. Never had to pull either of them out.

I get along really well with all of the local guys. There are four different types of plowers:

1) Full-timers- like myself. This is how we make a living and its our only real source of income (other than odd jobs during the winter and for me lawn care in the summer). In my mind, we are the most respected because we put everything we own on the line everyday. We are almost always licensed/insured/have a DBA and pay taxes religiously.

2) Employees- plow full time for a company that is not your own. Around here they tend to brag and be cocky about what they run, when in fact, they own nothing and plow for someone else for $9.00 an hour.

3) Part-timers- usually working for extra money. tend to lowball and take jobs away from the people who depend on the money to make a living. Will do driveways for $8.00 and think they are making money. Not insured/licensed/have a DBA or pay taxes. This is usually the case but I do know some guys who work full time and plow part time and do a really good job :nod:

4) A$$holes- the guys who will go out, collect $500 upfront for 30 customers and skip town. The guys who will undercut and undercut and keep lowering the price until they get the job. The guys who will try to hurt you if you take a job from them. etc.

In my eyes, those of the levels of respect that need to be given. If some fat guy whines about me taking an account from him he goes into #4. If I see him off the road in a ditch, I'm going to laugh and keep driving.. This is a free enterprise country, nobody can say this is my customer, this is yours. You don't own driveway rights until you have a contract!

15. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

quilitylawncare how do you find reliable people for 9 bucks an hour to plow. talk about lowballers.

16. qualitylawncare

I don't find anybody to plow. I'm solo during the winter as I like peace and quiet!

The guys around here that are driving trucks for a big company usually get $9-12 hour. These are company employees, not sub-contractors.

Yes, lowballing is probably more present here and in western/upstate NY than anywhere else. Almost every truck on the road, has a plow on it.. I don't know how some of the guys around here make any money at $6-9per driveway, but to each his own..

I know I'm making really good money whether it snows or not, so I'm all set :nod:

17. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

didn't mean to accuse you sorry about that. thought you were talking about subs.. but 9-12 bucks an hour to get up in the middle of the night to plow not me. thats why i own my own truck and plow for myself. i also like the solitude.

18. The Boss

I also plow for myself. If someone wants me to help them, fine. But I'm not getting out my warm bed with the old lady for no less than $75.00/hr. :D

19. qualitylawncare

No problem..

I wouldn't do it either but I guess alot of people work night shift for less than that and plowing isn't exactly hard labor (other than being up 3days straight at times) if your an employee..

happy plowing :waving:

20. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

gotta love it

Gotta love it when they say "Well, so and so will do it for half of that" or "for $a lot less", I feel like smacking them and saying "Then WHY did YOU call ME?"

Gottalove it,and I like the statement about leaving them in the Pines!!!!!!!!!

As far as getting slapped in the neck????!!!!

I am not really sure, but if I were to be threatened that I was going to be slapped, ESPESCIALLY in the neck, I would,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm
    Slap HIM in the neck first and .................
    That was great, had a nice laugh while at the office reading this.,...