1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Trojan and Pusher...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Dec 26, 2013.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A picture, just because.... my ancient Trojan 2000 pushing a 14' SnowDogg! Gotta make itself useful.... 4x 12V batteries and Ether Injection make sure the old two stroke (supercharged) 471 Detroit fires up. Simple and Reliable!
    :drinkup:

Thought you guys might like to see some vintage iron still earning its keep!

IMG_1001.jpg

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Nice old loader!

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Hope you have 2 mufflers in series for that sreamin detroit!

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Is that engine air cooled? There was a Trojan loader at an oil company I used to work at in Mass. It was a 5 cyl, air cooled...something diesel.

5. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Very cool!

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Must've been a deutz?

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

The one and only! I ran a 5 cyl Deutz in a skidder for years. Best industrial diesel ever built.
    Bulletproof.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

My father used to swear by Perkins, he also had a TJ with a Detroit, the best part of that skidder was the motor.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe Grandview hasn't spoken up yet. This is right up his alley! Lol

That is a pretty nice looking classic you've got there

10. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Very cool man! Do you have a pic thread? I'd like to see some of your equiptment, looks like you only run older equiptment, that's pretty cool and I respect that. You must have good mechanic skills to run the older stuff and keep it running good.

11. derekbroerse

I actually have very few pics, no one else here knows how to work a camera apparently... lol and of course when the action is happening, we're under the gun to get done and no one thinks to take vids or anything either. I literally need to bring someone out specifically to take some one night...

I grew up in the garage for the most part, my dad taught my brother and I a lot and we kinda took it from there. Between the three of us we could pretty much do anything on a (older) car or truck from bodywork to rebuilding automatic transmissions... tho sometimes it just isn't practical. The nice thing about the old machinery is that it is built out of rocks and dirt style technology--if you are at all mechanically inclined you can work on it... no sensors or computers to deal with!

Detroit Diesel 4-71 is liquid cooled. I think some of the later ones were powered by Deutz air cooled motors though. One thing I find cool about Trojan brand loaders is that they were produced in the next town over, St. Catharines, Ontario (as well a Batavia, NY). The parent company before the big takeover was Eaton, Yale, and Towne. The factory has been demolished in the past few years to make way for more condos and crap, but the street is still named Yale Crescent.

I wonder if a 2nd one would help...? It has a gigantic single one. Anyone not familiar with the distinctive sound of a Detroit two stroke diesel should take a moment to look them up on you tube, they are in a league all their own!!

12. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Are those special snow tires on that machine? Looks good.

13. derekbroerse

The fronts are a pair of Nokians, I vaguely remember them having an ice and snow symbol on them but that may be something else. They were a pair of Military take-offs from ebay. The rears are Goodyears that came with the machine, not much tread left. It had nearly smooth Michelins on the front when I bought the machine, full of nails and screws too...

Even though it weighs around 26k lbs, it will still spin the tires with a full load of heavy snow...!

14. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Nice loader here's a pic of our old corn binder it's only 2wd but it never had a problem pushing a 10 ft pusher with wet or fluffy snow

image.jpg

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Love the loader, not a fan of snowdogg.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

I always wondered about using 2 mufflers in series on a detroit. I don't see why 2 mufflers rated for a higher flow engine wouldn't work to keep it quiet while still allowing free exhaust flow. I have seen 353 and 453 detroits that were very quiet, but never saw just why.
    The thing about a 353 is it will start and run with minimal compression. It won't make enough power to do anything, but it will run great! So that is how you find 95% of them. Running, but worn out. I ran a 353 in a tree farmer skidder one time. Even in first gear low range @ wot, it wouldn't pull a full hitch.

17. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

I love this old iron!!!! my oldest loader is a74 hough h-90E, still pushes a 16 foot protech. After that i have an 86 terex 7231BA with a 471 screamer pushing a 14 foot protech ist. Then comes the 86 case w-20B pushing a 12 foot protech. And the grand daddy of them all! 95 volvo l180 pushing an 18 foot protech rubber edge. Not me mention my old trucks, 11 plows ranging from 1971 gmc k 20 to a 2011 gmc sierra 2500 hd. Talk about a swing of the years there!

18. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My wife was looking over my shoulder and saw your title and says " that sounds dirty. Nice cover guys, suuuure plowsite". She says my response should have been "I'll show you a vintage Trojan and a pusher". Hahahaha

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Picked up this 68 International 3850 this year. Allison TT2200 transmission. Rear wheel steer.

10' custom snow bucket, with the original 1.25 yard bucket.

Put a 12' pro-tech pusher on the front of it.

Having some power issues with it though, rolling some black smoke out of the D282 motor either under load or not under load. Pretty much think it's over-fueling.

Taking the injection pump off of it this week to have it looked at. If I can't get 10% more power out of it that I need, then I'm transplanting a cummins 4bt into it.

[​IMG]

I know there is a thread on here somewhere where people were posting pics of old iron, but I haven't been able to find it again.

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That thing is darling. I like it!