1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Fisher Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Lucky Lad, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Junior Member
    from Maine

I picked up a 1966 Ford F-250 4x4 with a Fisher plow on it. I'm wondering if the plow is the same time period as the truck? The truck was a town owned truck, so they could have put a plow on it in 1966 when they bought it.
    I put the red and black knobs on the controller so they aren't original.
    This is just a yard truck for now, but I like it. I may put it back on the road.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't really know,but looking at that serial # I wouldn't be surprised if it was original.That is a sweet truck,I'd be tempted to restore it,want to sell? lol
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet looking truck don't see to many of those anymore
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

That. Is. Awesome.
  5. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Fisher site and they have been around since about 1950. So my set-up isn't super early.
    When I bought this truck it didn't have any brakes. The guy that just used it to plow a private road said he didn't need any. The truck has a non-synchronized granny 1st gear, which he left it in all the time. And he plowed in 4L all the time. So if you want to stop you just take your foot off the gas and you'll stop. If you need a little extra help, just drop the blade.
    But I'm from the "brakes are good" line of thought so that's the first thing I fixed.
    I had a Minute Mount before and I like this plow just as well.
    And Leigh, I don't want to sell it, I haven't had it that long yet. :D
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Oh ok,I'll spent the 30k on another project.
  7. 95wranglasaurus

95wranglasaurus Junior Member
    from Maine

You are a lucky lad, sweet truck. Does that Ford say "KINGFIELD" on the door? I grew up in Kingfield but for some reason, I don't remember seeing that truck.
  8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Take the plow off that truck and restore that truck!! You can not find stuff like that anymore.
  9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sweet ride! that those sticks are correct for 60;s vintage.
  10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

That's awesome. You should swing by the maine section in the weather forums.
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome find, You made a good decision to purchase. Very nice big boy toy.
  12. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, I usually go with the brake option, they come in handy every once in a while.

What town you in? My truck is a young pup compared to yours (1973), but similar belt-drive Fisher system. You able to find the original manual on the Fisher website?
  13. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Junior Member
    from Maine

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

95wranglasaurus, I don't know if Kingfield bought this truck new or not. I'm a bit south in Norway, (Megunticook), so I don't know it's history first hand.

Randall Ave, I may make it roadable but I won't take the plow off it, except in the summer. It's my plow truck.

Megunticook, brakes are good! I put a new master cylinder in and new front wheel cylinders. I have the rear wheel cylinders, but I disconnected the rear brakes for now. When the weather is better I'll get all 4 corners working.
    I was surprised that almost every time I want a part, the parts stores have to order it from away. I'm only 60 years old and I'm thinking 1966 isn't that long ago, they should have the parts right there. I guess I'm older than I thought.
  14. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

I know you put on new master . . .

but now time to upgrade to duel resivor master for better brakes and safty .

I do like the old girl :salute:
  15. maxadventure

maxadventure Junior Member

Sweet truck! that should make a great plow truck, as long as everything is maintained well I'm sure it will work great as-is. I've been running a '54 that is all original and it works as designed. I didn't need to upgrade brakes because I didn't upgrade the engine. I use it as it was designed and it does great for me. I swear vehicles these days are all designed to 'use, abuse, and discard' now. Old trucks will run forever at 100% if you just keep them maintained!

I love seeing vintage steel out doing what it was meant for! keep us updated with plenty of photos!
  16. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

You should check out RockAuto (rockauto.com)--prices are significantly lower than local NAPA or CarQuest, great selection, and stuff arrives at your door usually in 2-3 days. Very easy to find what you need. I buy everything for my '73 Dodge pickup from them. . .

I just took my blade off today (so I could go move some wood), have a hunch I'm done plowing for the year. Never know, we may get another quick storm or two, but I think we're headed right into a long mud season now.

Have fun fixing up your truck. Come back with pictures.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

that's cool :)