1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VIN Number decifer and K3500 questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sgoalie23, Jul 5, 2004.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

I just purchased a 1994 4x4, auto, Cheyenne 3500, 12 foot dump rack with 94,000 miles. Questions are as follows:
    1. Can you decifer the following VIN 1GBHK34K0RE252958?
    I would like to know the engine size and differential ratio.
    2. How do I know if the engine or trans is original?
    3. Did the 1994 year still use carburators or had they gone to EFI?
    4. The truck needs a new exhaust from the cat back. Do you recommend OEM equipment or something else to increase the horsepower and /or gas mileage.
    Thank you.
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Your truck left the factory with a 350 (8th digit code K). To determine if the original block is still in the truck there is a pad on the block in front of the right (I think) cylinder head. If the last 6 digits matched it is the original block.

I am not sure if there was a vin stamping on the trans in '94 and I don't know where it would be but if you find a stamping on the trans that matches the last 6 of your vin it should be the original.

Axle ratio is identified on the option label in the glovebox. You are looking for GT or GU options (if you have G80 you have a limited slip dif). Your friendly neighborhood GM dealer can translate your axle ratio from the option code.

All post 1987 GM light duty trucks (1-ton and under) use fuel injection (throttle body injection through 1994).

If I were putting a new exhaust on anyway I would definitely try to make it breathe better. That is exactly what I have planned for my 1996 1/2 ton.