1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vids: I built a 14.5hp sidewalk shovel. I LOVE THIS THING!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lawntec, Mar 24, 2008.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I built this ZTR and am just now getting a chance to show it off. 14.5hp, it has plenty of power, it pushes a huge amount of snow, it weighs about 200 lbs. 34" by 34", i can fit 2 of them in the box of my truck, they go about 9 mph. they are ZTR. Instead of using a plow I used a broom just like I have on my truck. It works amazing.

I use them only for sidewalks.

And rememeber......I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU ONE!! So, don't try to tell me why it wouldn't work for your snow falls. I know it works for mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XT8zs4PYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8yv1kkvxU Kinda crappy, but it shows a bit

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

cell phone vids, sorry

3. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

thats cool!! it looks like so much fun:D:redbounce you should put some strobes on it lol.. good job :drinkup: can u put up some pics?

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

O know... Mike has you addicted to strobes to! lol

I agree it is very cool!

5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Sure, i will get some pics this afternoon. And yeah it is alot of fun. The best part is using it during the day. People drive by and literally... stop to look at it. Everyone double takes it.

I have even learned how to drift with it. lol.

Because it is is so small I can turn around on even the smallest sidewalks. I thought about strobes, and lights already, but I am not sure there is enough alternter to run them. The last thing I want is a dead battery.

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

thats funny but cool

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good
    i will be looking for the daylight pics of it

8. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Here are some day pics.

Please understand that before I spent to much money I wanted to see how it would work. That is why I never painted it and why I used nothing but scrap metal I had laying around.

Version 2.0 is due it next month. (now that I know it works)

p_00024.jpg

p_00023.jpg

p_00026.jpg

p_00025.jpg

p_00028.jpg

9. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

When I lower the broom, and drive forwards the natural action is for the PT to drive over the broom. The front wheels come off the ground. I set them to lift 1". Therfore the broom has downpressure....about 2000lbs worth. :) Well maybe 75lbs. But it works very well

10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Good Idea
    the daytime pic look great

11. BRAAAP

BRAAAP Senior Member

That thing is sweet:drinkup: Great job!!!!!

12. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

thats an awesome little contraption, nice to see people making there own machines

13. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

nice..

That thing is awesome....I love seeing something someone builds just because they can...good job:drinkup::drinkup:

14. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

THATS AWESOME MAN NICE JOB ON THE R&D THERE:drinkup:

15. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Intriguing.; Very intersting design. On your videos, for a second, I thought it was an old motorized wheelchair that you had put a very small plow on.

That's a neat little contraption, good job, man!

16. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Believe you me... before I built this, I had thought about getting a medi-chair and putting a plow on it. I tell people it doubles as a 14hp wheelchair. lol

We might get more snow tonight so I can get some better vids tomorow.

17. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Was that built from scratch, or is the back half part of an old sit down lawn mower?

Nice work, post as many vids or pics as you have time to.

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

That thing is pretty neat!

19. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

no, it is from scratch. It would have been easier using a old mower but insead I used 2 hydro's, I did this because it makes for much easier turning.

20. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Sweet! Nice fabrication!