1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Video from Denver..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 20, 2007.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZzq5-VrJ8o

Either this was a union job or they were getting paid by the hour for this. Just seems like they were wasting a lot time .They would of been better off with a plow truck for the road.

PS Some dork talks in the beginning :gunsfiring:

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I think they used the equipment over plow trucks because I am sure after 2 weeks it got pretty packed down and it's easier to put it to one spot and haul away

Sweet video though. They use a loader mounted snowblower up here to clear streets, but haven't seen that since 05

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

All they needed was one loader to do that, not two loaders and the grader (which seemed TOTALLY worthless)! Was a neat video though, makes me want the snow even more!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

The guy in the IT38 needs to go back to flippin burgers, He burnt more fuel then he moved snow! :dizzy: :help:

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

government workers.

Trust me, been seeing it all over town here. 5 trucks, 14 loaders, shut down the whole street, all day to go about 10 blocks.
    Uh huh, should take like 3 guys.
    Sad :realmad:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All you need is one of these to drive down the street and then let the people shovel out their drives.

10-12-06 snow pixs 058 (Small) (Small).jpg

7. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

All the videos I saw there were City of Denver hired contractor equipment.

Which is not to say that CDOT had no problems! On the state highway that runs near my house they had to run the old FWD blower up the canyon. No real operators left, they ran them all out with bull and crap. She quit after 12 hrs. Limped her back to the shed with hydraulic and clutch problems. They ended up sending four 3 yrd loaders, two midranges, and two 1 tons for TC.

In all humility, the old M2 on this road, or I, could have kept this road OPEN with no more than 1 tandem with wing, and the 140H with bullplow and wing to push back after the lanes were clear (the A plow was needed out east for 10 ft drifts).

I stopped by the shed I used to run yesterday. New M2 and mechanic were there. I asked why every piece of equipment assigned to this patrol had gone down (I knew the answer, forced to put folks you would not trust with a Sears lawnmower in $150k plus equipment, I just wanted to razz the new M2).

I'll bet it is the same everywhere. They want to hire unqualified personel for less pay. It will be more costly to the poor taxpayer in the long run.

8. Rampart Ranger

Please, there remain a few dedicated and capable CDOT folks. They give it their best. They have to risk their career to fight the system imposed by the legislature.

9. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I was suprised at the job the 140 was doing. The operator of the IT-38 was a waste of a machine.

10. Rampart Ranger

CAT 140H is one hell of a machine, put an A plow and wing on, give her half an operator and she will...

Get 'Er Done!

BTW - My son is becoming a fair operator. He used an older Champion 4x3 to cut 4" of ice off 17 miles of 4 lane last week in 12 hrs. With regular steel! I told him to call my old patrol and get the ice blades out back, but he did not want to go out of channels. 'Course if he was a better manager he would have ordered ice steel for the grader last April (takes that long for the storeroom to supply). Hey, he's new!

11. Rampart Ranger

Notice in the first video the 3 yrd CAT loader with teeth on the bucket (BAD news for other than rough dirt work) and the fact that the rock trailer was only loaded half way. No logos either local or State, definately contracted.

12. Rampart Ranger

As for the video entitled "Denver Blizzard 12/21/06" if it was up to me I would let those so called "professional drivers" sit in the lot till spring!

Nine out of ten time it is some damn trucker who ain't got the sense God gave a goose, who is too lazy to put his chains on that shuts a road!

13. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Plow trucks?? You must be kidding. This is a job for the big machines, not the driveway machines. Plow trucks are for driveways and parking lots with lighter snow, NOT for piling, loading trucks...:dizzy:

This thread is just bashing what seems like a perfectly normal snow removal operation after a large storm. Are you guys really serious about snow or is it just a hobby?

BTW, why bust your chops and runs 100 mph when you get paid by the hour. lol...

That's why there are co's that make hundreds of thousands a season in profit from snow and then the guys who make what....:cry:

Don't mean to sound too critical... but geez... :)

14. Rampart Ranger

Ever tried to cut 6"+ ICE with a loader - without tearing up pavement or curb?

Grader with good operator can do this routinely. That's why it looks easy in the video.

15. Rampart Ranger

Youse guys NE are about to get some weather.

Not likely to be the 7 to 8 feet we have got on the Rampart Range in the last month. But, I'm sure you will enjoy.:rolleyes:

BTW - The avatar, that is one storm, one 36 hr period - AFTER it had melted back 2 ft! I was working to clear the public highways and had to snowmobile home to this (after 16 hr shifts) for 2 weeks!

OK, I'm done bitchin'. I hope you gents get enough snow to make a buck, and not so much as to make you so tired of it as I am!

DAMN! It's snowin' AGAIN!!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You made my point in your previous thread. "I'll bet it is the same everywhere. They want to hire unqualified personel for less pay. It will be more costly to the poor taxpayer in the long run."

exactamundo.

17. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I have always liked the 140. All my time has been in a 50 year old cat #12. I thought it was doing a great job without a wing or A plow.

We all had to start somewhere. The IT-38 driver could have used some guidence.

18. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Seems like alot of messing around. One heck of a pile though. We havn't gotten a dumping like that at once but if enough snow comes over the year they use a loader mounted blower and blow the banks into the back of a truck.

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I am confused.

Is it illegal to leave snow on the side of the road in CO ? :)

20. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Its the same out here,only...

Well Massachusetts Highway is run by desk jockeys and private contractors do the plowing now.Most camps only have two DOT employees and a book keeper now...We had a One ton out of my old pit go to auction after five years and NEVER had the power angle plow push snow.....Allot of camps utilize pickup trucks with plows over the big stuff and they wonder why when it really snows they have issues....One thing about Mass highway is spreaders do well.Better living threw chemicals,Burn it off and black and wet is what they like to do...
    New Hampshire DOT seems to do a good job still....Don't know what is different but they still seem to keep up with it...
    Maine DOT is having a serious problem keeping employees,I was told by HR(When I gave my notice) that something like 75% of new hires are leaving...They have been cutting equipment and the quality of equipment is on the cheaper side,small motors,light duty we had break downs all summer long .Funny, for such a big state Maine has auctioned off 99% of their snow fighters(AWD) and only has One snow blower to share threw-out the whole state.To save money this season they added lane miles and cut trucks,they have one six wheeler covering a 52 mile round trip in my area....How can that be safe?We spent the summer shimming wheel ruts on the main routes.We have grass growing up threw travel lanes but it doest seem to be an issue....The guys at Fleet services are ordering equipment that doesn't work ex;They ordered new Ten wheeler dumps, all beautiful trucks..The dump bodies did not fit into the paver that they use.lol Who is specing out the equipment??You think a truck that plows snow in the winter and paves in the summer would'nt be that hard to spec out????Now they are modifying all the bodies to fit into the paver(Brand new trucks)......To make a short story long they are loosing the majority of qualified people and keeping the guys there for a pay check...