1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Video Camera Test

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jul 7, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Last week i dropped off my F 550 crew cab rack body with a 10' body. Now this truck has a solid back board with no window. So this truck has no review except for the side mirrors. <p>Anyways the truck body had some problems on the pump. This truck is very long, and can be hard to back up. Company policy is that if the truck is being backed up a long distance and the area is narrow or has obstructions, a worker walks with the truck when backing up. <p>Anyways when i picked up the truck, the truck upfitter put a camera in the truck. He told me it was a demo camera, because i knew i was going to use them on my big trucks, and may use them on all trucks with a v-box. <p>This camera has some great features. You can see everything that you have been missing. It is amazing how much more you see with the camera compared to just the side mirrors. You can back up a lot closer too, with out a director. I have the camera on demo for 5 or 6 weeks he said, so i am waiting to see how it works in heavy dust and mud conditions<p><br>Geoff

2. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff,<br> How nuch do thay cost. Ijust got my 550 with a 9ft dump and you are right about seeing right behind you.I cant even see my 8ft trailer going down the road.BTW it came w/ a 9ft fisher mc plow what a monster. Any ideas for a sander i dont think i want a vbox <p>----------<br>Todd <br>

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

trucut- i hope it's a diesel auto. for a sander, i'd go with an undertailgate one. i looked at down a downeaster brochure and they make an electric undertailgate spreader for 2-3 yard bodies. i'd look into that because you won't need to to install a central hydraulic $y$tem. good choice on the fisher, i wouldn't gotten one of the new curtis's though. anyway, get a pict of it up here so we can see what it looks like. i remember when you wanted to get a 450, so i guess you got a nice one!<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

4. GeoffD

well, i haven't herd the cost yet to be honest with ya. I think they are around 500, but if your not hitting basketball hoops, and trees, (even the best drivers can hit something in a tight spot) well then its 500 well spent. Anyways i saw the video cameras in aw direct's catalog, if you want to install one yourself. <p>As far as a sander, i would look at a replacement tailgate if you don't want a v-box. I think the replacement tailgate model would work better than an under the tailgate. <p>I would look at Diamond or Meyer or Swenson for one of these spreaders. Now they are all made by swenson, because all those companies are all owned by one. So a meyer spreader is a swenson, and so is a Diamond. Go to diamonds website at www.diamondplow.com or meyers at www.meyerproducts.com. <p>Also i have just opened up a can of worms, because people will say to use these spreaders ya have to raise the body. However i have no problem with raising the body in a parking lot or even a road. The public works guys use tailgate spreaders and drive up and down hills and around curves with the body up at like 40 MPH, you will never sand that fast. I would suggest you check out aw direct for their noval quad flash lights, and mount one on each side of the body's cab protector.<p>Geoff<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GeoffDiamond

5. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff, I got the truck used w/13000 mi onit 7.3 turbo auto it all ready has a 4ft light bar on the top. I want to go w/ somthig other than a vbox so i dont have to remove it if i need to haul any thing. I have only had it a week and love it cant wait to plow w/it<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

6. GeoffD

Todd, check out a replacement tailgate model. I am having two installed this year.<p>Geoff

7. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

We had a back-up cam on a heavy duty wrecker about 1 1/2 years ago. Worked great when it was dry, but it was about worthless in the snow. We made our own little housing for it that made it a lot better, but its still hard when your kicking up all that slush and ****. Good Luck though, and mount it somewhere where you'll get the least kickback of road grime!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti