1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vid- What are liquid deicers and why do we use them?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by terrapro, Feb 15, 2016.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Very good video explanation of liquids. Although I promote liquid usage, thankfully there will always be those who will over apply rock salt. It keeps my skidsteer busy ripping out the concrete victim.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I thought so too. Figured with all the reoccurring same questions with the high expectations annually and the misinformation out there I would post something actually factual for the newbs or anyone else interested.

4. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Member
    from 56063

Excellent post! The video does a great job of simply explaining the process and the relationship between freezing points and percentage of calcium chloride, also the reasons why more is not always better. I also really liked how he stressed the increase in efficiency. These are the exact reasons why we switched to liquids. Increase in efficiency and decrease in cost.

5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I saw that video last year and thought it was a good, detailed breakdown of info. I fully agree with you Jim on that, We are constantly learning and trying new things, but love our liquids and what our lots look like compared to others now. People are so use to dumping Rock Salt and having to re-apply in the morning just because its what they know( Calling me when its 15 degrees with wind and there lots re-freeze). We are having to do a lot of educating as we try and sell liquids to people in MD. Once they see the light its a different story :drinkup: