1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Victims of Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Plow Nuts, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Well I never really thought about it , but the other day I was working my day job and was at an insurance auction lot and happened to notice some interesting items there. I will not divulge where the place is, but for those of you who will recognize it---KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES!!!!

2. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Anyone want a brand new Nissan--slight water dmg

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It was on the news about that place.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd take one of the classics...not much electrical to go wrong with water in them....I'm only thinking electrical but I'm sure there will be rust issues with all of them.
  5. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

The old stuff not bad. Change all the fluids...water level was up to the windows. Electrical would be more tedious. I would buy a classic car with flood damage in a heartbeat. Much easier than the other 5-7000 vehicles there with the electronics. I found it interesting that it was cheaper to total the pictured vehicles rather than repair them.
  6. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

There are a few places like it in nj and ny. This one has 5000+ vehicles there from long island. Did i mention they all have to be gone by early march because their lease was only during the winter when the property. Is not used. There were some really nice vehicles there. Real shame
  7. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Mold is the real issue.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just got a little sick to my stomach:cry:
  9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

God I hope they are saved! A real Yenko in field fresh condition would bring $30k

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'm sure everything is going to auction, I don't see how someone would let one of their babies out of their sight. I know I'd be having some serious reluctance to let one go.
  11. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

That is exactly how I felt. You would have to pry my musclecar from my cold dead hands--no matter how bad it was damaged :salute:
  12. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

I know where this is :)
  13. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Shame how many cars and trucks got ruined. I worked in long beach for a month and saw most of these cars get towed away. Its really sad.

I almost bought this guys dually but I didnt want to deal with electrical gremlins so I called off the deal.

2008 k3500 with a 6.6 duramax.
  14. 89Heaver

89Heaver Member

i know that place and pictures and video could never do it justice. It is sad to see some of this and some of those car could make a grown man cry. What alot of people dont know is the people in some areas had no choice if they kept or lost their cars. I know a few guys towing these cars out of garages of houses that were condemned, storage lots, dealerships, and businesses that were damaged and the owners were not allowed to enter because of the damage or worse had very limited time to remove their things. It is sad to loose some of these classics but also realize that the places these came from also lost most likely everything else too.
  15. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

Thats nothing if you want to see flood cars come to Englishtown Raceway Park. They have every car you can thing of Lambo's Ferrari's Bentleys, classics. They have a 2012 Bentley Convertable with 3000 selling for $100,000.
  16. Len90

Len90 Senior Member

I haven't checked out Englishtown Raceway, but I have seen one or two others and many of the cars being towed, especially from Staten Island. So saddening to see how many cars were lost in the storm.
  17. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

Looks like a great place to pick up a Cummins engine to rebuild! But... the gov will probabaly just ship them to China like the cash for clunkers deal did.
  18. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Vehicles total loss'ed and stored for a CoPart or Manheim auction are the ones the owner did not wish to keep.

While it is a loss to see classics sitting, just keep in mind the owner that allowed it would rather have the cash than save the car, basically they are a collector who is in it for the cash value and nothing else.

I have dealt with a LOT of "investors" who put their money into classics, and after the market tanked a few years back on the common ones (ones shown in the pics) they would rather have the assessed value from the insurance company than dump money into fixing it and get half that at a collector auction.

Simple business, sadly enough.
  19. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

I live on Long Island, and have spent quite a bit of time down in the Long Beach area working after Sandy. I just tried buying a sandy vehicle that was water logged today, but didnt get it. Thousands of cars got destroyed and i agree the muscle cars should be saved. However to say that it is simple business and they want to make money on it and just let insurance take it isnt the case of all these cars. Some? Yes, absolutely. However many people lost everything with this storm, and I think getting money for their collector so they could put it towards rebuilding their home and having heat and hot water was more important than saving that collector car/truck.
  20. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

we might of bumped into each other... I worked there after the storm my self.