1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibrators ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kingriver, Nov 4, 2005.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Up north we use sand in our spreaders, I have a problem now and again with the sand bridging, (hi-way sander) inverted _V_. I was wondering if anyone had used one of those vibrators on such a unit, and did it do any damage to the welds ? I have heard that they can shake the unit loose,

:cool:

2. Raydon

Raydon Member

I've used a vibrator alot on stone slingers and have had no issues as far as damage. It only needs bursts for a few seconds to do the job. They are available in electric or hydraulic.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

kingriver,
    Get one use and you will like it. I use one in my sweeper to empty the ben and will be getting one as an option on the new spreadwr I am ordering. We also use them on our dump trucks and they do work wounders with no side effects. When installing use a momintary switch for the short bursts as stated by Radon.

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use several Meyers 600lb Tailgate Spreaders. They work great with the bagged salt that we buy by the pallet load, but then we came across the opportunity to get free bulk salt. Obviously being a businessman, I jumped on the free bulk salt. It didn't work out too goo though. About 40% of the time the salt pile was so frozed we couldn't use it. We cvarry aluminum shovels and it bent the blades. It was too hard even for regular shovels and picks. Then we had problems even when the salt wasn't frozen, it was so moist that it didn't feed well in the tailgate spreaders. I invested in a few vibrators and now the moist salt works just as good as our bagged salt. I am sold on the vibrators (after all, women have been using them for years!). I think they are worth every penny. Now I just got yo figure out how to load my spreaders when the salt pile is frozen and I don't have access to a bobcat to break it up...