1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibrator on a western tornado

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hhiggins, Jan 19, 2014.

1. hhiggins

hhiggins Junior Member

Where and how is the best place to mount a vibrator on a poly tornado

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If u buy one from western they come with specific instructions on location and how to secure them. U need to remove it from vehicle if mounted in a pickup truck because u can't get at the stainless steel conveyor rail. As I recall they mount on the drivers side just behind the adjuster. In fact u need to install a shorter conveyor adjuster bolt o make it fit. The bolt comes in the kit. U do need to drill a couple holes in the left rear plastic support but that's easy.

3. hhiggins

hhiggins Junior Member

Mishnick thanks I have a customer that has a vibrator he wants mounted . I kinda looked at the conveyor rail but didn't know if it would vibrate enough

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

why do you need one? I have had my tornado for 5 years now.... have never needed a vibrator.... do you have the inverted v? what are you running through it?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The need really depends on what u spread. I don't run a spreader but have installed many. I am told, what they call pickle mix, is bad for sticking and cavitation. The inverted v keeps the pressure off the conveyor but can actually make the need for a vibrator greater. Surely the customer wouldn't ask for the vibrator if he didn't need it.... And it sure won't hurt to have it. If he doesn't need it he doesn't need to turn it on right?

6. hhiggins

hhiggins Junior Member

Yes there is an inverted V in the tornado . I'm in the southern tier of NY, so our road sand is from a gravel pit which is real small stone ,sand and dirt . My customer had a pro flo 2 and that needed a vibrator on it also . That would cavitate also and a PITA to have to keep poking through to the conveyer . Soo he went bigger to eleminate the problem and it still sticks or cavitates . thanks for info