1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibrations when hubs are locked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Andy N., Nov 2, 2005.

1. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

When my front hubs are locked on my truck (04 F350 6.0) there is a lot of vibrating on the steering wheel and in the cab when the truck gets over about 35mph. Any ideas?
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You may have a u-joint froze up or multiple freeze ups on the front shaft or lost your balance on the shaft. See if anythings stuck to the front drive shaft like a gob of tar and stone etc.
  3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Try it with the hubs locked, but the transfer case in 2WD.
    Then try it with the hubs unlocked, but the transfer case in 4WD.
    Next try it with one hub locked, transfer case still in 4WD.
    Now unlock that hub and lock the other, keep it in 4WD.

Tell us what difference it makes in the vibrations.
    Let us know if it happens when you are driving straight, all the time, or only in turns.

With the straight axle if you are going straight and it is a u-joint problem you probably won't get the vibration, but when you turn you would notice it.
  4. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

That is normal.when in 4 wheel drive wheels need to slip a little,like in mud or snow,when on clean pavement wheels are "Digging" but dont kneed to be,this action alternates between wheels so one grabs one lets go when you get over 35 or40 Mph they cant keep up,and you get a shudder.let me know if this makes sence,i kind of need my hands to explane this.:salute:
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I realize it's a straight front axle vehicle.
    You still have U-joints or CV's in the shaft from the transfer case to the axle .
    By engaging the hubs you are now turning all those parts.
    And in case you didn't know don't drive on dry pavement in 4x4.