1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkN, Dec 25, 2001.

1. MarkN

MarkN Junior Member

I have a GMC 1998 extended cab 1500, automatic, 350 engine, limited slip differential. It has a vibration in steering that starts at 35 mph. and
    stops when it gets to 50 mph. I have had tires balanced by load force machine. Front end aligned and checked for bad components. Tried moving front
    tires to rear. Checked U joints and brake rotor run out. Tried going over speed where vibration
    is and coasting back in neutral with engine off.
    And it still vibrates. Steering wheel does not
    shimmy, but vibration seems to be at a higher
    frequency than you would get with tire problems.
    Could transmission cause this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You might check the carrier bearing in the drive shaft.

Bruce

3. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

you might also have the driveshaft checked.
    Had a friend that the dealer replaced it on his 97.

4. cj3859

cj3859 Member

i've done my center bearing,new u-joints,had drive shaft checked for balance,front tires balanced,new shocks,and i also have a wicked shake at 35mph,eng mounts and tranny mounts look like they are in good shape,is it possible too get that much shake from a bad ball joint? (changing next along with new suspension bushings,now those i know come in poly:) )

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't offer any input to Mark's situation, but on yours cj, I don't see tie rod ends as one of the parts you have checked or replaced. It's possible that could be a factor too.

6. cj3859

cj3859 Member

well vibration prob solved,did my ball joints,tie rods,aligned front end yet again, drove out of the shop and halfway home got another 7.5 earthquake in the front end,so took it back,mechanic took another look and found the left wheel bearing was shot,which is pretty funny cuz same shop replaced those for me not even 4 months ago,go figure:confused:

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming they were greased properly when installed, if when the new bearing went in the retaining nut was over-torqued the bearing wouldn't last long............................guess how I found that out?

Yes, no one to blame but myself for that one - one of the things I learned the "hard way". Also ended up having to replace the spindle too. :(

You can be sure I won't make that mistake again though!