1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vibration

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducku66, Oct 2, 2005.

1. ducku66

ducku66 Junior Member
    from ct.

2000 F350 diesel, 4wd, crewcab,dually.

have a vibration at 40 mph & at 70 mph, at no other speed. i have changed uper - lower ball joints, universals in axles, front tires,universals in rear driveshaft. dont know where else to go, can someone help with this please.

2. 1ruralmailman

1ruralmailman Junior Member

might be time to have a driveshaft inspection done.i have a friend with the same truck,and has spun two driveshafts.the two yolks get turned slightly,the only way to know for sure is to have a driveshaft put on a lathe in the shop and see how they line up.

3. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I am a master tech at a local shop. My suggestion would be to rotate the tires from front to rear. I feel you have a tire balance problem. It is a easy and cheap way to diagnose this problem. If your vibration changes ( worse or better you know it is a tire issue). If a u-joint or drivetrain issue is bad it will shake less under load. I would go out on the highway get up to 70 and pop it into neutral.
    If it gets worse then you have a bent shaft or bad joint. Basically all the slop is taken out of the shaft when under load.
    good luck
    mike

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You can put the truck up on a 2 post lift and put it in gear. If you dont have any vibration stop the rear wheels and put it in 4wd and once again see if you have a vibration. This may or may not help you narrow this prob down....Rob

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My 04 had this problem at 40 it was real bad especially coasting downhill, and again at 70.

70 felt like tire balance, but from 40-45 was a hop, sometimes felt like the tire was going to fall off.

If I was hard on the throttle I would coast right the problem without feeling it.

I rotated the tires with no change.

Here was my problem.
    The guy that owned the truck before me had oversize tires installed.
    He removed them before trading in the truck at the dealer.
    He was unaware that the oversize tires, and rims required shims on the rotors for clearance, so he did not remove them when reinstalling the factory rims before trading in the truck.

I removed the tires when I rotated them before bringing it back to the dealer, and I also missed the shims (they looked like part of the rotor to me).

The dealer installed new tires on my truck and it still shook, so they took a closer look at the rotors and found the spacers,
    They told me that they had to heat them up with a torch to remove them.

Hope this helps
    S

6. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Rob,The post lift work's,but with the truck being picked up by the frame on a post lift the axle's are hanging,and not in there normal ride hight position,and this will change pinion angle's,and sometime's will create vibration's that wern't there before truck was put on lift,and they go away as soon as you take it off the lift.I alway's used the alignment rack so I could use the jack's on the rack to pick the truck up by it's axle's this leaving vehicle wait on axle's so you get a true feeling of drive line,and being able to look at shaft's.not trying to be a know it all,I just have ran into this problem on a 85 Bronco.I lifted it up with a post lift,and started to drive it in the air,and WoW what a vibration I had that wasn't there before started looking for the original vibration which turned out to be pinion bearing in the rear end. :drinkup:

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

load the suspension by placing jackstands at each wheel......Rob

8. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

You got it.That's how I do it.Then you get the full veiw with all drive line's in ride hight position.