1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jhall22guitar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Well I am guessing this isn't a good sign. My 2006 1500 (4.8L V8) is at 146K miles and it is vibrating just a little, I can notice but not sure if anyone else does, when driving between 30-42mph if I am not accelerating.

Any ideas for what this could be?

2. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

universal joint. Most of the time you can feel them when there on the way out when your just coasting.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd check the u-joints too. Might be a tire, doesn't sound serious

4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

a front wheel unbalanced could do it. sometimes the wheel weights pop off .

u-joint

front bearings ( dangerous)

good luck

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

When I've had hub bearings go they started making noise at higher speed 75 then 70 then you replace them:mechanic:

6. jhall22guitar

I just had the tires aligned, new tires, and new bearings in both front tires (6K miles ago, except for one bearing was 10K or 15K)

I will have to get the U joint looked at? Anyone know about the price for getting them fixed? I was just at the shop getting my oil done and should have checked here first. I also have to get the cover on my rear axle replaced now ($240 bucks they said) since its rotted and just starting to drip fluid.

7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

240 is a lil steep . DIY:mechanic:

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I'd think the bone yard would practically give you a cover, not like a 10 bolt isn't common

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ten bolt cover is about $25. Three quarts of Mobil1 75W90 about $35. One hour or so.

10. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

alot of bone yards drain their diffs so that people wont open them up and pour the fluid on the ground . they do it the fast way by punching a hole in the cover then a cork to seal it back up . some boneyards might have em but not as many as you think there would be .

11. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It's hardly worth messing with an old one from the junk yard when you can get brand new for $25.

Just do yourself a favor and put a good coat of paint on the outside of the new one.

12. jhall22guitar

I was thinking of doing it myself, between me and my dad I bet we could do it haha. He said to use some synthetic oil that was like 60 a quart?

Anything special we would need to do/anyone know of a good tutorial? I figure its just pop off the old one, replace the cover and gasket and put the oil in.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  13. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

I have done 2 rear covers so far. 1 on a '94 1500 Heavy Half and 1 on an '02 2500. You can get them from the dealer in a kit form with unpainted cover, new bolts and gasket for like $50 to $65 or cheaper if you know a parts guy there. Wipe the oil off the new cover, slap on some self etching primer then paint it with many coats of a good semigloss or flat black paint. Or better yet, a few coats of bedliner spray. That will hold up for quite a while! The synthetic 75w-90 oil is like 15-20 bucks a quart at any aftermarket parts store. Get 3 qts to fill rear diff to 15-35 mm below the fill plug i believe. Just my 2 cents, YMMV. Good luck with the vibration problem. Keep us updated.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  14. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

15. jhall22guitar

Im not sure, I would have to check with him. It seems like I could do this on my own very easily. Im not an idiot, and i can use my hands. Its alot easier than taking apart an engine, but ive never tried either haha.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That is one of the symptoms they can have.

The hub bearings on these GMs can fail in about a thousand different ways, to the point where almost any symptom could be them, though I don't think this vibration symptom is.

I wouldn't rule out hub bearings for recently being replaced. If they weren't AC Delco or Timken then they've got a strong chance of being defective from the factory...even if they were then they could. Worse, torque spec is 173 ft-lb and it seems like plenty of shops don't bother torquing them properly at all and the ones who would don't have a torque wrench that reads higher than 150 ft-lb* so they just crank it on WAY too tight using a huge impact wrench. Too little or too much torque will ruin these hub bearings in short time.

These damned hub bearings suck, they don't have the same symptoms every time, they don't last long when you use good parts and do it right, and sometimes they pass every diagnostic test but are still bad. They're probably my biggest complaint about GM's engineering on these trucks...I'm pretty happy with everything else.

Anyway, your symptom doesn't sound like it, but when you get other symptoms just keep my rant in mind.

*: I know because after replacing mine myself recently I asked around...a couple new car dealer service departments (one where a friend works who has helped me out before), a very professional garage where I have a good relationship, and a few others, and NOBODY could give me calibrated torque higher than 150. Anyone in northern RI or central MA have the tool and want to help me out? I drive around with the socket and an extension in my cup holder like a Cinderella shoe just hoping someday to find what I need...

Doesn't seem to be common in this area of the country.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You seriously can't find a torque wrench that reads above 150 ft/lb?

18. theholycow

Seriously. Not unless I have a couple hundred bucks to spare...I spent it all on a hub bearing. Like I said, I asked a bunch of places that you'd expect to have one.

19. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

Strange.... I would think even a moddest tire shop would have a torque wrench that goes higher than 150. A heavy truck/ fleet repair shop should carry a few. Have you tried any heavy shops in your area?

20. theholycow

Tire shops have torque wrenches? I've never seen a tire shop use one, they just crank everything on with their impact wrench until rotors are warped and studs are snapped.