1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration resistant headlights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wagonman76, Mar 17, 2005.

1. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Do they actually make headlight bulbs for snowplows that are more resistant to vibration? Since I put a fresh set in mine, Ive burned out one in a month. Ive got the large rectangular sealed beam type. If the do indeed make vibration resistant bulbs, does anyone have any feedback as to how they work, if they really do last any longer?

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If you installed the plastic headlamps they are a lifetime bulbs. Send them back and get your money back..Rob

3. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

never had a problem with bulbs breaking due to vibration I woul make sure that the bolts were tite because if they wernt tite it woul vibrate more.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would suspect you are getting excess vibration because your homemade mount is not reinforced enough. Reduce the vibration problem first then replace the bulbs.

5. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

The bolts are tight. The mount is fine but the pipes that attach the lights do vibrate a little. Most plow lights Ive seen are attached with thin supports and do vibrate, and I wondered if vibration resistant bulbs may have just been standard plow equipment, or maybe going through a lot of bulbs when plowing might be normal. I can easily replace the light mount pipes with thicker ones, Ill try that.

The lights are made by Dominion Automotive. They are a plastic housing that accepts a standard 2B1 (large rectangular) high/low beam sealed beam style headlight. I bought them used off ebay, and one headlight was burned out (the other one) and the headlights didnt even match so I replaced all the bulbs with fresh ones.

As the headlight went, both high and low beams got very dim, then quit. Testing the headlight shows no continuity whatsoever. And the wiring is good. Who knows, I could have even gotten a bad headlight.

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The lights getting dimmer as time goes on does not sound correct... My experience is that when a bulb is about to go it will get brighter.... if you have ever dropped a shop light. I do not know what plow light bracket you are looking at, but my light are on some pretty heavy metal, and vibrate very little. The only vibration I get is the vibration transfered through the plow frame when plowing. Driving down the road there is very little if any. I suspect that th mount is not sturdy enough... thicker pipes might work, but I think it might need some angle bracing. Judging by you photo on you profile, your supports need some more work...

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My MM is on the original sealed beams that came from Fisher in 1996. I have never seen or heard of vibration resistant bulbs- vehicles subject to vibration sometimes have isolation mounting for the bulb buckets tho, rubber gaskets and such.

Looking at a commercial duty plow the head gear is usually pretty massive, not too sure how thick the home duty type plows usually are, but I would definatly look at bracing against vibration in the mounts- maybe mounting the headlight units to the hood instead of piping....(assumeing you don't plan to take the headgear off the car for the summer.)

Maybe changing the pipes to angle stock would do it.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The bulbs may of popped due to water getting in. I seal new ones on the edges and around the plug with high heat gasket sealer in a tube. Let it dry 24 hrs before installing. They are not sealed real well from the factory! One of mine has gone 3 years without popping. The plastic headlights are $24 + from NAPA or Meyer, sealed beam's are $9 from a parts store. Look at the light, look for water in it, They have a bulb inside the unit that will pop if water or drops touches it. As far as getting dim it may be the water fogging the lens or the water line inside raising up before it pop's.