1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration in 3/4 ton 87.. what do you think?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mindtream, Jun 10, 2002.

1. mindtream

mindtream Junior Member

Hello,

I have a 1987 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy Suburban with a 2 piece driveshaft and a 454 engine. I have been getting a pretty severe vibration that starts as a continuos noise between 48-63 mph or so and then turns into a pulsating vibration above 63 that is sort of a waa-waa-waa sort of thing. It seems to increase in oscillation frequency immediately when I hit the gas.. the speed of the vibration is increased instantly. It is loud under load, but decreases by about 80% when coasting. There is no vibration evident when running through various engine speeds in park, or when running through various wheel speeds on a lift, but on the lift there is no load on the wheels so that would seem to be relevant. The following has been replaced or checked/repaired with no effect:

replaced rear end
    new tires and wheels balanced and aligned
    new brakes all the way around
    harmonic balancer checked
    new torque converter and flex plate
    new trans mount
    new u-joints and center support bearing
    checked engine mounts

I also noticed that if I put trans in neutral, I can hold the front half of the driveshaft solid before the center support bearing and rotate the back half after the support bearing about 1/8-1/4 inch or so. Is this excessive and if so, might the splines be shot?

Would an out of balance driveshaft seem to fit these symptoms? Any other ideas / thoughts?

Thanks,

Darren

2. Larry J

Larry J Junior Member

Have you had the drive shafts balanced? Sometimes they get get reversed and 180" out, when they are reinstalled.

3. 455sd

455sd Junior Member

vibration

i would be very suprised if it is not the tail shaft centre bearing but if it has been replaced correctly and the shaft has been balanced after bearing installation i would be looking at the diff centre pinion bolt to see if it is not loose or in a extreme case the whole ring+pinion