1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration from tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by XxChevy-HDxX, Nov 30, 2010.

1. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

Hey guys i was wondering why the tires make vibration to the truck when i go a past a little past 65 MPH. Is this normal? Or is the balance maybe a little off?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

They could be out of balance, or pending the type of tread it can do that as well. I would have them checked out. One could be out of round as well. There is something that only certain shops do (I think) called a road force test. Different way to check tires and will tell you if it is out of round, etc. It is worth looking into

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Does it stop after you past 75-80mph? Probably need a balancing and an alignment. But do it after plowing season.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

i never went that fast

5. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

There all terrain tires they are brand new i bought them on black friday there mastercraft courser a/t 2

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Yeah get it road force balanced. They will be able to give you a printout and tell you exactly whats up. Chances are the kid that put them on messed up your balance.

7. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

Well it didnt do it before so i think they just didnt do they balance right. But what does a road force balance tell you exactly?

8. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Did you mount them yourself? If so I'm 90 % sure they need to be balanced. I mounted tires on my 5500 a few weeks ago and I got some bags of equal that you toss in the tire before you seal the bead. As you drive down the road the bag breaks open and will balance the tries.

9. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Go back to the shop and tell them whats going on. They should take care of it ....

10. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think it does roundness, side to side balancing as well as up and down. I am not good at explaining it....Here click here.

http://www.gsp9700.com/

View the demo

11. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

I had them installed at town fair tire got one hell of a deal but i searched also on google it seems to be off balanced and no i did not install them my self but i will ask for a road force test or even tho the tires are covered and if the shop didnt do something right they have to fix it.

12. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

I have the same truck as you. last february i bought BFG All terrains for my truck. same problem, 55-65mph gets real shaky in the floor, goes away after 75. Had the shop balance and allign 4 different times. only helped a little. still does it though.

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

u joints or un balanced drive shaft

14. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

Well i didnt go that fast up to 75 MPH but it was doing it before when the tires were installed so i think someone just didnt do the balance right get what im saying i deffinetly understand yours too

15. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Alignment can contribute to this too. If the tires are needin to be replaced along with an alignment that can cause a vibration. At least that's what my shop told me

16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I see a problem.. They tell you where to place each wheel on the vehicle...
    What about when you need to rotate the tires ???

17. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I would bring back to the shop and have them figure it out. 2 years ago I had a similar issue. Under 45 and I felt no vibration. Over 45 I felt a vibration. I thought maybe I had a bad tire or snow was building up in my tire area so the balance was off. Cleaned the snow away and I still had a vibration. So I went to plow a commercial lot and boom my transfer case blew out. The vibration was the coming from my transfer case. If you have the same vibration in 2 wheel drive then no worries it's a tire but if you do not have that vibration in 2 wheel then it could be a bigger issue. Again try it in 2 wheel and see if the vibration is still there then go to the shop and tell them what's up.

18. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I had a similar problem with my 02. I would feel a minor shake at 45 mph. I had the tire shop balance and re-balance the tires and it was still no help. So I figured it was the bigger 285 tires. Later I bought my own tire changer and balancer. Mounted up the same tires to different rims and balanced them myself. And what do you know, no shake. I think the tire shops don't take the time to balance them perfectly. I don't think the same shop is going to get it any better, but you can try. Maybe a different shop. Most tire shops will not have the road force balancer. They are spendy.

I would leave it alone. How many times do you go over 65 mph.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  19. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

[​IMG]
    I had the tire shop rebalance but then they showed me the back rims were warped and when i saw it wobble and really hurt to see it they balanced the the tires twice and still the same thing so i went to go buy American Racing rims

20. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Another nice thing about the road force balancers...........they can test the tires and rims and show you the results. A lot of the big dealerships have them.