1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vibration at 60mph

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 06FX4Blizzard, Nov 28, 2005.

1. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

Has anyone had the problem with feeling a vibration in the pedals at 60mph? Only does it when the plow is hooked up to it.

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Do you have it in 4x4? Could be front u-joints or drive shaft vibration.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

May need the tires balanced,throwing the extra weight on may push it to vibrate. Check the pressure's too, make sure they are equal. I drove a truck the other day that had a vibration right at MPH. It would give you a headache!

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Hey Tony, Try this one, on my 02' I discovered that the left side front U-joint was frozen. In turn, it mangled the entire hub and bearing assembly. The best part is trying to get parts, only to get confused, because for some f***in reason Ford used two different assemblies, one fine thread and one course thread. That is the worst damn thing about Ford. Every truck has to have some kind of option that screws the job up. Now, I am up to about $350 in parts when Ford could have simply put a greasable U-joint on in the first place. Oh-well, every truck has it's problems. Anyway, call me.

5. infineon954

Hey, it's under warranty. Get it looked at.

6. MickiRig1

In the future if you need drive train parts for a Ford (Dana,Spicer) try calling a truck drive train parts place. I have a place around me that has Dana /Spicer parts for about 1/2 of what Ford rapes you for. Or they can order it for you.
    They had stuff on the shelf for my Bronco II like front axle shafts,U joints,seals, bearings,parts for the hubs.

7. infineon954

There is a place, however, a mechanic tells me they hate dealing with people that have pickup trucks. They would even go as far as giving you the wrong part on purpose. Unless, there is another place I don't know about. Either way I would have to drive 30 minutes or more. For now Federated Auto Parts or NAPA works. What I can't get from them, I get from Ford.

8. infineon954

I am just amazed that at 68,000 miles my truck would even have a major problem like that.

9. MickiRig1

Sam Winer Motors 330-628-4881.Listed under "Truck Parts" in the yellow pages. They are in Springfield just south east of Akron a couple of miles off Rt 224. They carry Dana/Spicer parts,lights,amber beacons and have used Military vehicle parts. I always try to take the old drive train parts with me to compare with what I am sold. The computer systems are not always right with 4X4 parts. I always seem to have the "Built before this date trucks".
    If you plow with that truck it's not surprising that you may need u-joints or ball joints etc at 68K. Plowing is hard on a trucks running gear.
    I bet the average 4x4 truck does not see 100 hours of 4X4 use. Some winters we do that in 2 months or less.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  10. infineon954

Yeah, I've been to Sam's before, again just a long way for me to go when I am in a bind. As for those U-joints perhaps I should have replaced them sooner ,but the I didn't get any signs or symptoms from the truck until it was too late. Thanx, for the info though. " A little info goes a long way"

11. MickiRig1

I have a buddy that works at a Ford parts dept. He gives me his price on stuff and it's still real high and some stuffs not available anymore.
    Try Mom and Pop auto part stores,they don't have a problem "going to the book". The big chain stores just like to sell parts that they can move alot of they could care if you need a cross over pipe and cat for an old Ford.

12. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

Thanks for all your help .. This setup is all brand new.. new truck and plow.. more i drive it with the plow its starting to seem like more of a humming noise at 60 and less vibration

13. MickiRig1

The humming probably just the weight on the tires from the plow. Maybe once the mold flash on the tires is gone it will quiet down. Check the tire pressure too,your running the high side of the load range of the (stock)tires when the plows on.